Don't You Mess Around With Me

By the time Teddy finished his shift at the historical society the clouds had turned somber with a deep grey color and began drizzling rain down on the streets. The only thing Belford Bay saw more than rain was snow, but it was still too early for that. He pulled the hood of his light navy blue jacket and the water bounced off his jacket in defiance.

He had the sudden urge to run back home and curl up in his bed with a good book, but Teddy remembered with a begrudging sigh that he had promised Fr. Charles that he would stop at the store before he went home. It was an even trade-off, he decided. If he didn't go they'd have nothing to eat.

It wasn't a far walk, nothing in the town really was, but it was cold and wet with the sidewalk being slick with the water. A small stream of it rushed in the step from the sidewalk onto the street and poured into a storm drain not far from Teddy. As the wind whipped his hood from his face, Teddy was hit with the wish that he'd remembered to bring an umbrella that morning. The boy cuddled the fabric closer to himself shielding his face once again from the brunt of the elements.

The wooden sign of the general store came into view and Teddy practically hopped up the step that led under the cover of the awning. He pulled the door open and entered with a jingle from the little gold bell that sat above the door. Teddy gave an appreciative shiver as he let the warmth rush over him and his hood flopped over off his head again.

Damien, who stood at the counter with a green apron covering his grey tee shirt, looked up from his phone only briefly to roll his eyes upon noticing it was only Teddy. Teddy in turn payed him no mind.

"We got a customer out there, boy?" Mr. Murphy's voice came in response.

"Yeah, Dad. It's just Teddy, though" Damien answered as if the boy wasn't there, without shifting his attention. Teddy glared back at the top of his head.

"Oh Teddy?" Mr. Murphy appeared from behind the pink and white stripped curtain that blocked off the backroom. "What can I do you for today?"

"Just grabbing some stuff for Fr. Charles," Teddy answered with a slight smile. He'd always liked Mr. Murphy, even if he didn't like the man's son. Mr. Murphy was as much a playmate as any of his classmates.

"Well if you need anything, give a holler!" 

Teddy nodded, before turning slightly. The store was small and only one room. All the walls were painted a pale green that matched Damien's apron. The shelves were only stocked generally with simple necessities like eggs, flour, milk, cereal, and oatmeal. It was awkward to look around the store because Mr. Murphy remained at the counter and there wasn't anywhere in the room that was out of his sight--- though Teddy assumed that made it difficult for miscreants to steal..

Teddy drifted towards the small selection of cold products and picked out a simple package of chicken breasts.

"Damien, go on and grab Teddy a basket, would you?" Mr. Murphy turned to Damien, who eyed him back as if the man had just asked him to carry a television up a mountain side, and gestured again with his eyes.

Begrudgingly Damien moved out from behind the counter and harshly grabbed a green basket, extending it to Teddy with a look that said, "Take it, you doofus."

"Thanks..." Teddy mumbled awkwardly before taking the basket into his hands and plopping the chicken into it. Damien stood for another moment with his large muscular arms under the cuffed sleeves of his tee shirt crossed over his chest.

"Be nice." Mr. Murphy demanded.

"You're welcome," Damien groaned. With that, the dark-haired boy disappeared back into the workroom presumably to text some girl he was flirting with.