Walking There

Teddy lingered slightly behind Damien and Julie as they rushed away from the church. It had been only a few brief moments and he already felt like a complete third wheel. He was sensitive to his own faults enough to know when he wasn't wanted, and allowed them as much space as he could.

The sky was still tinged with orange and pink, but the sun had already set and the street was growing darker by the moment. Teddy hadn't been to Candle-Fest in a very long time, so he marveled at all of the wonders surrounding him. It was as if every building on Main Street had been decked out to match the festivity. Even the church bore its own wax candle diorama of the Nativity. The town hall building across the street had its doors thrown open in festivity and a large orange banner strung above its door. The red and orange autumn flags that hung intertwined with fairy lights that flickered in the dimming sunset connected both sides of the street in a beautiful tapestry.

The rain had cleared up while Damien and Teddy were walking back and somehow most of the decorations were able to survive the storm. The only hint remaining was the wet concrete and the occasional puddle.

Beside the town hall in the paved opening that usually held nothing more than benches and bike rack was a large white tent which was undercut by the view of the sparkling bay at sunset. There, the adults would spend their night drinking and gambling, as well as making money for a good cause of course. Outside the tent, the town's teenagers would take to the streets and turn it into a dance floor.

Though there were rarely any cars on Main Street, the town's sheriff and deputy stood vigilantly in front of yellow barricades to ensure the safety of the dancers. In the center of the street was a booth filled with speakers and extension cords which would fill the whole town with music as the night wore on.

Aside from candle dioramas, there were tables lining the sidewalks displaying various merchandise. There were extra candles, pies, donuts, cider, and other festive treats to buy and fancily dressed people bustled through the streets carrying ever more to their respective tables. It was as if all of the sudden the sleepy town was coming alive. Though the event had yet to begin there were already more things to do than the average day in Belford.

"Are you alright Theodore?" A voice startled the boy from his thoughts, and he looked up to see Julie's concerned face. "You spaced out there for a minute."

Damien stood behind her, looking impatient and annoyed.

"I'm sorry," Teddy apologized. "I was just taking it all in."

"It's my favorite time of the year," She smiled. "Makes me very glad to live in a small town. Don't you agree, Damien?"

"It's alright."

"You don't have to stay with me if you don't want to," Teddy offered. "I know you guys wanted to have a nice night."

"Nonsense, we can all have a nice time together. Damien doesn't mind, do you?"

"...No." Though Damien's mouth agreed with Julie, his face certainly had quarles.

"See? You know everybody seems to think he's a big sourpuss, but he's really very kind once you get to know him. Damien's been so sweet to me, and I've just seen a very different side to him."

Damien flushed red behind her, but Teddy paid it no mind. Whether or not that was the truth, it was good that Julie saw Damien in a favorable light.

"Look, they have apple fritters! Those are my favorite." Julie exclaimed. "We should get some!" She grasped at her purse with a large smile, and Damien nodded in agreement. Despite Julie's claims that they would spend the night together, Teddy allowed them to go off and eat in peace. It was one thing to offer, but another thing to be accepted and Teddy had no desire to get on Damien's bad side.