Getting On

He's terrified of me. Elijah's wolf whined. He's going to hate me. 

       It was painful to see, but Elijah's wolf was already linked to the boy so he laid back down staring ahead at the tower above the grey stone building with ivy growing up the sides. It had been a warm night, but a slight chill had fallen in the air. It didn't matter, though, as werewolves didn't really feel the cold like other animals would. 

         After Elijah had drifted off Daniel, in his wolf form, made his way out to the sleeping alpha. It wasn't safe for someone with enemies like Elijah had to be out in the open. Perhaps the alpha would have realized he was there, but Daniel wagered the man's head was filled with dreams of a mate. Daniel already had his mate, a human as well, so he was a good person to travel with the group, Anna was just one of the only people who could calm Elijah down which made her just as useful. Daniel respected Elijah, he didn't think the guy was ready to be Alpha, but he respected him anyway. 

          The sky began to see he brief lights of morning and Daniel used his snout to gently shake Elijah awake, but was met with a harsh growl. Daniel shook his heavy wolf's head, gesturing to the sun which began to break the barrier of the horizon, and begrudgingly Elijah awoke. The two boys trotted off into the forest and came back a moment later as two tall humans. 

        "We should go see Teddy." Elijah stated. 

        "He's probably still asleep," Daniel checked his watch, "Give him a few minutes." 

         "Where's Anna?" 

        "I believe she's still asleep, Alpha." Daniel shrugged. 

       "How'd you know where I'd be?" Elijah asked as they made their way out of the forest and back into the little village once again. 

        "I have a mate." Daniel shrugged. "I knew where you'd want to be and I went there. Just close enough to see, but not close enough to be seen."

     "He saw me." Elijah argued. 

     "Are you sure? You're awfully far for a human. Maybe it just-"

    "He saw me... he saw me and slammed the window. He's afraid of me." Elijah stated firmly.

    "Come on, let's go make sure that Anna's awake." 

     Dorothea was absent from the lobby of the inn when Daniel and Elijah arrived there. Daniel assumed she must have not gotten in for the morning yet. Anna was already on her way down the stairs when they got there. 

     "Thank the moon," Anna exclaimed when they arrived. "I thought you two were going off to get into trouble."

       "Us?" Daniel smiled. "Trouble? Never." 

       "We should try to establish a friendship with Teddy," Anna suggested. 

       "Why?"

       "So we can ease him into everything." Daniel answered. "Do you think it's late enough to go out to the church?"

        Anna checked her watch, "I don't see why not. Humans have their services in the mornings, if I'm remembering correctly." 

        Elijah was out the door as soon as he was given the go ahead and Anna and Daniel shared a knowing look. Outside the inn the sky was beginning to fade to a daytime light blue, and the village seemed to be coming alone. Smoke drifted into the air again and shopkeepers began unlocking the doors and waving to their neighbors. 

        When they'd arrived it'd been later and this was the most people the wolves had come into contact with. Despite the urge to blend in, their height and aura set them apart earning them stares from the many villagers. Anna attempted to wave to a nearby shopkeeper; the man slowly waved, his eyes betraying fear and distrust. It wasn't ideal, but they weren't there to make peace between the villagers and the nearby wolves.