If I Can Dream

Teddy sat in the common room of the rectory with a book in his hands next to the crackling blaze of an orange fire that roared with warmth. The rectory had an old boiler system that often went out for the count and Teddy had memories as long as he could remember of sitting by the fireplace for warmth. Once Teddy had asked Fr. Charles why he didn't replace the boiler, and Fr. Charles said there were other houses in town without heat, other people without food, or struggling, and it was their task in life to go without, providing as much as possible with their wealth for others. When Teddy was particularly cold he was always sure to offer up his suffering as atonement for privileges he had that others weren't afforded. 

Sr. Matilda lay in an armchair dozing slightly next to Teddy. In her hands she clutched a simple wooden rosary, forgotten in her slumber. Teddy set down his book and leaned back in the rocking chair. It hadn't been a particularly long day but he still felt tired. 

The walls of the room had a garish yellow and cream floral wallpaper picturing Lilium candidums, Madonna lilies, in columns across the walls. The floor of the room was a dark simple wood with a dirty green carpet shredded at one end covering a part of it. 

The rectory had an entry hallway that was narrow and had a steep old staircase leading to the second floor. Past the stairway to the back was a small dining room with a wooden table. Once it might have had many chairs, but only four remained. To the left of that room was a closed off dated kitchen that appeared to be right out of the seventies. It had ugly linoleum tiles and orangish wood cabinets topped with blue countertops and cream appliances. On the right side of the house was the sitting room which contained a couch, two rocking chairs, a fireplace, and no television. Fr. Charles said television was not an essential, and Teddy had grown not to miss it. 

Teddy rocked slightly in the chair. The room was dark in the late hour and no light came through the sheer curtains from the outside world. Inside the rectory it was always like being frozen, detached from the outside world, especially at night. The whole place had kind of a strange feeling to it, remote though central. 

The boy found himself staring at the fire, utterly enthralled as if he couldn't look away. It flashed warmly on his face and he could feel the slight discomfort at it growing. Teddy turned away feeling the blood rush to his face. The fire was dimming, so he rose and got another log from the stack, kneeling down to place it carefully. 

"Ohh.. let it go out, we're going up soon" A voice called from behind him. Teddy jumped slightly, and turned to see Sr. Matilda awake and alert. 

"Sorry Sister, you startled me" Teddy smiled sheepishly, taking the log he'd yet to add to the fire and placing it back where it'd come from. 

"I know" Her smile was as infectious and mischievous as Teddy knew her energy to always be. Sr. Matilda must've been a trickster in a former life, he decided. "Seems like the only jump my old heart gets these days."

Teddy frowned and paused looking down at his hands. He felt like a child crying to his mother, but he had to know. Sr. Matilda had lived in Belford Bay longer than anyone, if someone knew anything about wolves in the area she would. Teddy sighed deeply, gathering his courage; he had to know.

"Can I ask you something, Sister?" 

"Of course..." She smiled weakly, shifting to sit up in her chair. It appeared to be difficult for her so late at night. "But I can't promise I have any answers."

"Have you ever heard about.. wolves... like, in the forest surrounding us?"

Sr. Matilda's eyes widened slightly and her face paled, but she shook her head slowly. 

"No... not as far as I can remember, but my memory isn't what it used to be-- and I never had a strong one to begin with. No.. no I don't think I've any heard of any wild wolves."