•Prologue•

Chicago.

That's where we live.

People say that we are lucky to be in the city.

That the war was horrible, like a bad dream.

And that it destroyed the rest of the world.

Our founders, the people who founded the city, built a wall.

To keep everyone safe.

And they divided us all into five groups.

We call them Factions.

They were designed to keep the peace.

The smart ones, the ones who can beat you in any board game by using math and knowledge, are in Erudite. They literally know everything.

The ones who value honesty and order are in Candor. They tell the truth, even if they shouldn't.

The ones who protect us are Dauntless. They're our soldiers, our police. They're literally not afraid of anything.

I always thought that they were badass and free. Like our society didn't control them. No matter what they were told to do. Others think that Dauntless are crazy. They sort of are in a way.

Then, there's Abnegation. The ones who are always taking care of others. Even the Factionless. The ones who don't fit in any of the factions.

Due to being servants of the public, Abnegation is allowed to run the government. Which is fair to some people.

The faction I was born into is Amity. We farm the land. We're all about kindness and harmony, always happy. Which can be annoying sometimes. Especially if you're having a bad day. My mother, Aine, works alongside our leader, Johanna. Every decision made in Amity goes through them.

But it all works. Everyone knows where they belong. Everyone but me.