•Chapter 12: A Change of Plans•

Jax's POV

(Time Skip)

I got out of Dauntless and rode the train all the way to Erudite. Why? Because my brother was supposed to be having a meeting there. If I was gonna get out of Dauntless, I needed to make sure that my brother came with me. My mom and dad could protect my little brother. But it's Mateo I'm worried about. Everyone's already having doubts about my brother's priorities. So, I need to get him out of Candor before they think he helped me escape.

(Time Skip)

I walked into Erudite, seeing all the people stare at me. I looked around for my brother, worried that I missed him somehow and that he's back in Candor. Luckily, I was wrong.

"Jackie?" I heard. I turned to see my brother walking over to me. "What are you doing here?" Once he reached me, I hugged him. He hugged me back.

"I missed you." I said.

"I missed you too, sis." He said as we pulled away. He saw the look on my face. "What's wrong?"

"I need help." I said. "I'm in trouble."

"Okay." He said, looking around. He pulled me over to a spot where no one could hear us. "What's the problem?"

"I'm not gonna survive in Dauntless." I said.

"What do you mean?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest. I sighed in frustration. "Jacquelyn, what's wrong?"

"I can't tell you, exactly." I said.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"I just...I can't be there anymore." I said. "I can't."

"Okay." He said. "Well, you know you can't exactly go home."

"Maybe I can." I said. "Maybe...Maybe the council will let me."

"You can't." He said, shaking his head.

"Why not?" I asked. He sighed and uncrossed his arms, putting his hands on his hips.

"Erudite won't let anyone go back home." He said. "I mean, they have Abnegation on full lock down, literally. Who knows what rules Amity is under."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Erudite's trying to overthrow Abnegation." He explained. "With them in charge, no one will be going anywhere. We probably won't be able to see each other again."

"They can't do that!" I said.

"They can, if they're in charge." He said. "Remember Caleb Prior?" I nodded. "Well, he's literally preaching about how Erudite should be in charge. How all the other factions want Erudite to be in charge, which a load of bullshit. He's betraying Abnegation, his friends, his own family...He's gone into full Erudite-Asshole-Mode, literally. It's all this faction before blood bullshit. It's gotten to his head. If I ever have a kid like him, remind me to disown them, honestly."

"Is there anything you can do?" I asked.

"Not from where I stand in the council." He said. "I can't really do much other than be a representative for our leader, train the new Candors and tell the younger Candors to knock off their bullshit."

"So, what do we do?" I asked.

"Nothing right now." He said. "But if I have a plan, I'll send someone to come get you, okay?" I nodded. "Look, I gotta go, but be careful, alright? People take 'Faction Before Blood' very seriously."

"Well, good thing that's not how the Cruzes roll." I joked. He nodded, chuckling a bit. I hugged him and he hugged back.

"I love you, sis." He said.