•Chapter 14: Tobias•

Jax's POV

(Time Skip)

We walked into the testing room. I stopped and he looked at me as he got the syringe ready.

"Shut the door." He said and I close the door behind me.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"You're gonna practice." He said.

"In my fear-scape?" I asked.

"No." He said as he walked over to the computer. "In mine." He took off his jacket as I walked over to him. "We go in together."

"Have you done this before?" I asked.

"No, I haven't." He said, prepping everything.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" I asked.

"Why wouldn't I?" He asked, looking at me.

"I mean, I barely know you." I said. "You don't talk about yourself and now I'm gonna know what you're most afraid of. I mean, it's a bit fast, isn't it?"

"Are you afraid of that?" He asked.

"Are you?" I countered.

"No." He said, shaking his head. I walked over as he injected half of the serum into his neck. He looked at me and put his hand on my right cheek as he injected the serum into my neck. He removed his hand from my cheek and walked over to the chair. He sat down in it, and I walked over. He moved over a bit, and I sat down next to him in the chair. He attached some wire to my head, and he laid back in the chair. I laid back, feeling my heart racing as my back touched his shoulder. I closed my eyes.

I opened my eyes and looked around. I saw I was on bridge right between two buildings. I looked at Four, who was in front of me.

"Acrophobia." I said. "Aka, fear of heights. Why am I not surprised?" I slowly stood up. "You know, it's not real, right? We could just jump to our fake deaths."

"No." He said. "Divergent would jump. Dauntless would get to that building." We looked at the building behind us. "If you want to pass, if you want to avoid discovery, you have to do everything the way a Dauntless would do it. You have to find some tool, some method to survive." We started very carefully walking towards the building. Once we got across, we climbed in through the window. Suddenly, it changed, and we were in a ventilation shaft. We ended up running into a dead end. We looked back and saw another dead end. Four went back and pushed on it, but nothing happened. Suddenly, the walls started closing in on us. "Fear of confinement."

"Claustrophobia." I said.

"You have to find a way of stopping it." He said. "What would a Dauntless do?"

"Um..." I said as I looked around. Then I noticed nails on the floor. I quickly grabbed them and started shoving them in the crevice under the wall.

"Good." He said. The walls weren't stopping, so I had to shove them more in there. "Take your time. I'm just enjoying myself in this shrinking box." Eventually, they stopped. And then the landscape changed again. We were in a room. There was a gun on the table and a girl strapped to a chair. We stood up and Four walked over to it. He grabbed the gun and looked at me. "As a Dauntless soldier, you have to follow orders you don't always agree with."

"Who is she?" I asked.

"She's an innocent." He said. "I have to kill her." He walked up to her and held the gun to her head. He cocked the gun and then the girl changed to look like me. What the hell? "But I can never do it. Unless I look away." He looked away, closing his eyes. He pulled the trigger and chair fell over, with the dead girl on the ground. Suddenly, the gun and the girl were gone. Four turned to me as the landscape changed. I looked around and saw we were somewhere I didn't know.