•Chapter 20: It's Go-Time•

Jax's POV

(Time Skip)

We walked out and saw Marcus stand up at the sight of us.

"Tobias." He said. Four just stared at him then looked at me.

"We need to keep moving." Four said.

"Four, I got her." Tris said, holding her arms out to me. Four gently removed my arm from his shoulders and Tris took his place. Tris passed him her dad's gun and I passed Caleb mine.

(Time Skip)

Four opened the door and we walked out onto the street as the other Dauntless looked at us.

"Alright, move!" Four said.

"Tris, I got her." Mateo said, passing her his gun. She nodded and Mateo picked me up, causing me to gasp in pain. "Sorry." They all started running as we turned a corner and tried to catch up with the train. Four jumped onto the train and opened the door just as Peter did the same. Caleb and Tris jumped in after Peter and I looked behind to see Four help his dad onto the train.

"Mateo!" I heard Tris call. We looked and saw Tris standing beside Four. "Come on!" Four and Tris reached out as I held my arms out to them. Four and Tris grabbed my arms and gently pulled me from Mateo and onto the train. Four gently put me down and looked at me.

"You alright?" He asked. I nodded. Then I noticed my brother wasn't on yet. I looked out and saw him just about to fall behind.

"Mateo!" I shouted.

"I got it!" He said.

"I know you do." Tris said and leaned out the train, grabbing him and pulling him onto the train. He fell on top of her, and I saw them staring at each other. It gave me a feeling that I was a bit excited about.

(Time Skip)

I hugged Four as I leaned on him because I was standing on my right leg.

"My mom died today." I said, crying. "She died to save me. She's gone."

"I know." He said. "But she loved you, Jax. Forher, there was no better way to show you."

I pulled away so I was in his arms, and he put his lips on my head

"We lost everything." I said, wiping my tears away. "We have no home...No faction...I don't even know who I am, or who I'm supposed to be anymore. Am I Jax...or am I still Jacquelyn Cruz?" He put his hands on the sides of my face and put his forehead on mine. He pulled his head away from mine so he could look at me.

"I know exactly who you are." He said.

"Are you sure about that?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm very sure." He said. "Come here." I hugged him and he hugged me.

We're Factionless now.

Everything we had is left behind us.

But we found ourselves...and each other.

We may have to fight again tomorrow, but for now, we ride the train until there is no more tracks to ride on.

And then...we'll jump.

END OF BOOK 1