{To Cross Paths} chapter 23

I collapsed before the murky water, forcing the liquid down my throat. Coughs racked my body as the water traveled into my lungs, but that did not stop me from inhaling the refreshing liquid. It tasted earthy, like soil, and quenched my week's worth of dehydration.

"Did you feel bad for me," I coughed, wiping the back of my hand across my mouth as I sat upright on my knees. This was exactly what I needed. I rose from the ground already feeling more energized, my spirits slightly uplifted all from a few sips of water. Who would have thought? It's funny how having nothing can cause you to appreciate the "little things."

My time spent in this forest had been the same. No food. No destination. No water--until today. The sky was practically cloudless and the sun glistened on top of the green leaves that shaded me. Birds conversed loudly in the trees and the insects sang together in harmony. Even the air was fragrant.

I turned my head toward the direction of the river. I could follow it downstream and hopefully stumble upon a pack. Some packs preferred to live alongside a body of water to allow easier access and less traveling time. I had memorized a few off the top of my head and once I find out which pack I'm closest to, I can find out where the hell I am and where to go.

Finally, I was getting somewhere.

I began to march my way down the river, my head cascaded toward the sky. I frolicked my way around any branches that had fallen from the trees and inhaled the addictive fragrance of the earth. The ripples in the river had awakened from its leisurely walk and began to pick up speed. I accepted the challenge and also quickened my pace, but was still mindful of avoiding the branches.

I could see it already. The harsh winters of Canada would encapsulate me in a thick blanket of white and I would live in a quaint cabin in the woods, the one exactly from my childhood. My only company would be the few animals and insects in the forest and I would be utterly alone to live off the rest of my years in pure bliss. A dream come true.

A faint tingle flourished within my bones and I softened my steps on the grainy dirt.

Stop, my body commanded and I listened willingly. A rustling sound resonated from beside me and my eyes snapped onto the wild bush whose leaves would not cease to dance. All at once a fragile fawn and milky rabbit leaped from within the leaves. The creature's soft fur bounced as it took its hind leg and scratched the back of its head rigorously. Its sleek nostrils enlarged and shrunk in rapid motions and it appeared no larger than the palm of my hand. One bite and it would be devoured completely.

Clear liquid leaked from the corners of my mouth and slid its way down my chin. The sharp edge of my canines pierced my shriveled lips as my nails grew pointed.

The brittle rabbit twitched its head to the side and our eyes connected. For a second it appeared unfazed and held eye contact as its blackened eyes raked over my being, scrutinizing my build. Its gaze returns to mine for a millisecond before, in a swift motion, darts away from me and it takes my body the same amount of time to react. My feet crunched against the sticks that lacerated the soles of my feet and cool air pooled into my lungs numbing the pain. My thoughts were simple: Get my prey.

The little rabbit skipped through the forest with ease. Skurring under bushes, making frequent shifts between the trees and moving with lively feet. I am made aware that it knows these terrains better than I do, but that does not stop me. My hands, pumping by my side, itch to get a hold of the creature.

My prey unexpectedly springs to the left causing me to lose my balance. As it leaps through the air I trip, fall, and painfully stretch my arm outward so that my hand can latch around its left foot, bringing it down with me. We both slam onto the ground with a gentle thud; the grass cushioning our fall. I can feel my prey wiggling wildly in my hand. Its keen teeth nibble at the thin skin of my fingers, drawing blood and I squeeze my claws into its leg. The animal throws its head back and cries into the wild. I painfully drag my body upward until I sit beside the caged creature and with my other hand, I grip the supple fur around its thin neck, pinning it to the dirt.