{Consequences} chapter 25

Nothing. I felt nothing.

Aside from the dull ache in the crease of my neck, my limbs felt good and my thoughts were normal. When I first woke up I was still heavily fatigued  but after about two days, three meals a day, and some rest I was back to normal. Almost too quickly it felt. I have never been marked before, so I didn't know how one should feel after such an act. You always heard wolves  saying that they felt more connected to their mate and that this new warmth buzzed inside of them. Their entire viewpoint of the world shifted and this newfound confidence arose. I suppose that wasn't the case for me, or maybe it was all just a placebo effect.

No one came to visit me. Besides the maids that would provide my meals, no one bothered me. The maids wasted no time completing their tasks and leaving. No introductions. No small talk. I assumed they were displeased with me, but what stood out to me the most  was the looks of surprise when each one walked into the room. They would knock, wait, keep their heads down, glance at me, and a look of shock would cover their faces. Like I wasn't supposed to be there. Sitting on the bed.

At night were when I could hear his soft breathing outside the door. He would wait outside for what felt like hours and I would listen to his heartbeat gently in his chest. At times it would scurry like a mouse running from a predator and then drift like gentle waves. Over and over in a continuous cycle. He never entered the room which surprised me considering this was his room and he had no problem invading my personal space prior. I was glad he never barged in because I didn't want to see him. 

I cried the first day I woke up. Mourning over a mixture of things but mostly because of my failure. My failure at something so simple as running away. I had no perception of time, but I'm assuming not much time had passed since I left because not much had changed. I was confined to one room but nothing had changed in here nor did the people that came in.

As the days passed by, reality hit me pretty hard. I was trapped. This time I was really trapped. Any escape plan I would formulate in my head, no matter how intricate it would be, ended in him catching me again because no matter where I ran he could find me with the snap of his fingers. A mark allowed mates to know exactly where each other was. It acted as a safety precaution. In case a mate was in danger or injured, their other half could  easily find them. My days of running were over by the person I least expected. Someone that wasn't on my mind until however long ago I met him.

That angered me further.

The first day that I decided to get out of bed was a very big  mistake because then I had to see the trail of bruises that covered my chest. I almost didn't believe they were there until I pinched myself. Multiple times. Now I had to deal with a new issue besides wallowing in my own self-pity.

Mating.  

I could only remember bits and pieces of our last encounter in the forest. Or so I believe was our last encounter. Usually, it takes a few hours or a day for mates to wake up after marking. Their bodies need time to heal and adjust to this closer connection between souls. Marking occurs when mates are already in the act of mating one another. It increases all of your emotions towards your mate including you...well... you have high... uh... intimate feelings towards them.

I really hoped that I didn't do that. Prayed that the bond did not make me do that. Apart from the love bites, there were no other indicators that I did that with him. I mean, what were the indicators? I didn't wake up naked and I wasn't...sore anywhere. My mind would not rest until I got answers or any confirmation of what we did. If we did anything at all. Which we didn't. We couldn't possibly do that... I hoped.

I was antsy for the rest of that day as well as a couple of days after until I finally talked myself up into confronting him. The last thing I wanted to do was see him. I think that I am going to kill him if I see him because I know that he is proud of what he did. I can already picture the smug look on his face knowing that he achieved his goal  of trapping me here against my will. In enhancing his strength to kill more innocent people and expand his territory. A big fucking game to rise to the top and–