XIV - Accompany

بسم الله
In the name of God
September 22nd, 2004 4:33pm
Augusta, GA, Center of Decay

◍◍◍

"You said you needed to talk to me, sir?"

It's around midday and Mr. Silas and I are cleaning the lab together. He has temporarily halted his experimentation and offered to help me clean up his excessive mess. Somehow, blood and salive and brain matter decorates the walls and parts of the ceiling; much like a crime scene. I declined, so he just began to help anyway. I would've been annoyed had he not been so good at it. After the chunks of human were cleaned, Mr. Silas scrubbed the ceiling and I wiped the floor spotless. Now, all that's left is the beakers, test tubes, and useless parts of the experiment.

I kept myself mentally busy, thinking about how wonderful it'd be to asleep. For some reason, just being around my employer has messed up my sleep schedule, and I only get about two hours of sleep a day when I work and eleven when I don't.

Unhealthy, unhealthy, unhealthy, I think to myself, we can do better, Genesis.

"I need to go to South Korea for business," he states, swiftly breaking me out of my thoughts, "So I'll be there for a week or two. Or three."

It's silent for a moment and I'm unsure on how to respond.

"Is this your way of telling me to leave before my week is up?"

"No. I would like you to come with me."

His creaky voice echoes through the science lab, and I'm unsure.

"Do... Do you have a lab elsewhere?"

"No, it's less for chemistry and more for business and, em, personal reasons."

"Well, I'm a glorified cleaner and I fetch things from the supply closet or order things. What purpose or role would I be of benefit, Mr. Silas?"

"My wife," he says simply, placing cleanest tubes where they properly go, "And you are much more than a glorified cleaner, Miss October. Your brilliance has brought about a cure for a deadly and highly contagious, mysterious disease."

I freeze on the spot, a wet sponge in my hand that begins to drip water down my sleeve.

"I would like to marry you, Miss October."

He doesn't approach me, which I am grateful for. Instead, he continues to put the clean beakers and such in their designated places, several feet away.

"I need to travel extensively for the next two months. A portion of which would be my family, so I'd... I'd appreciate if you would pretend that be my wife, or rather, actually be my wife for that time," he says, a bit embarrassed as he brushes his hair away from his eyes, "If you decide to accompany me, we will most likely spend a lot of time together, anyway, both alone and with others. I feel it'd be appropriate and also provide me support during this... Complicated time. If you don't feel comfortable or simply reject the request, then of course you can go about your week and formally quit."

The apples of my cheeks would be glowing crimson if he could see them. I blink and mull it over, not really believing him.

"Are you joking, Mr. Silas?"

"No, I am not."

I think for a bit, and realise this will solve my issue with him.

I worried for nothing. Nothing!

"Alright, then, I will," I say, turning away to rinse out the last of the glasses, "I am your general assistant after all."

His blank expression is churned into suspicion, "What?"

"Why do you look so confused? I just agreed."

"Well, I... did not expect you to agree. Most people wouldn't agree to such a strange request," he thinks for a moment, drying out a 500ml beaker with a microfiber towel, "I think your judgement is poor."

"Should I take back my answer then?"

"No. Unless you want to."

"I don't."

"Good."

I scrub off the sink and the counters with warm water and gentle cleaning soap, and he puts the rest of the dishes away in silence.

"What are the details of my role, Mr. Silas?"

His back is turned towards me, and he glances over his shoulder, "We'll talk about that later."

"When is the nikah?"

"Sometime before the 8th of October, since that is when our flight takes off. Hopefully as soon as possible, though."

I lean on the counter, having rinsed and dried the countertops.

"Okay. It's going to be small, isn't it?"

"That is likely."

"Alright," I say, chewing my bottom lip behind my veil.

He sighs, wiping off a fingerprint on the counter with his sleeve, "I apologize if I sprung this on you too suddenly. It wasn't my intention."

I plan and Allaah plans, and He is the best of planners. You weren't sudden, I think to myself, you're right on time.

"No, no," I say, shaking my head, "It's fine. I guess I'm just... Surprised. I didn't think you'd be the one to care about what your family thought."

"Hm?"

"When you said for familial reasons."

"Ah. And why's that so hard to believe, Miss October?"

"You're stoic, self-important, and alone," I laugh a little, "Doesn't exactly strike me as a family man."

"Yes, well, you don't know me personally," he says, grinning and glancing at me, "Hopefully this could be your chance. Maybe I'm more family-oriented than you think."