VIII - Water

بسم الله
In the name of God
August 25th, 2004 10:58pm
Augusta, GA, Center of Decay

◍◍◍

"Could I take this?" Mr. Silas asks, gesturing to my half-drunk water bottle.

I nod, thinking he is going to throw it away since he hates the sight of half-finished drinks. To my surprise, he opens it and slowly drinks the rest. I find myself staring as his Adam's apple bobs up and down with each sip; it's more prominent than usual since his neck is slim; the simple action of drinking something is unexplainably attractive on him, and I could honestly watch for hours.

With that revelation, I immediately lower my gaze to the floor.

Astaghfirallah... astaghfirallah... astaghfirallah.

Oh, Allaah. Please remove what makes me feel this way towards him. It is walking the edge of becoming unbearable.

How did this even happen?

How did this increase so quickly?

I should quit.

Of course, I probably wouldn't have even come in today if Mr. Silas didn't insist; Wilhelm, Mr. Silas's half-brother, invited himself to my employer's lab, so Silas knew he wouldn't get much work done and needed me to pick up the slack.

Unfortunately, I got sucked into Wilhelm's games as well and neither of us have gotten any work done for the past hour.

"Wow, has the skeleton finally married?" says a good-natured laugh.

"Relax, Wilhelm," Mr. Silas sighs, removing the now empty bottle from his lips, "I only drank from the same water bottle as her."

"But you don't drink from my water bottle, and we've been friends for years," pouts Wilhelm.

"Yeah, cause yours might taste like what's between your wife's legs."

I immediately choke on my spit and begin coughing.

Wilhelm feigns shock, "How dare you? For your information-"

"I do not want to know, Wil."

"-I rinse my mouth after I eat anything, okay?"

My eyes go wide as I cover my mouth and look towards the floor, averting my eyes. I don't think I should be hearing this. The exchange is humorous, yes, but I don't think it's appropriate for my ears.

"You shouldn't even been here, Wil," Mr. Silas says, getting out of his seat.

"Sorry? You invited me, dear friend."

He then tosses the water bottle in the plastic trashbin, "To stay downstairs. I don't want people like you here."

"People like me?"

"Yes. You're extraordinarily foolhardy."

"Wow, I'm hurt," Wilhelm frowns playfully.

"Good. Please leave, you're going to give me a headache. Again."

"Since you asked nicely, I will wait downstairs for you," he tips his baby blue beret with a flair before saying, "See you again, sometime, Genesis."

I smile at him then realize he can't see so I wave instead, wondering how Mr. Silas became friends with him.

After he leaves, my employer begins to gather his stuff, removing the white lab coat to add on a navy blue blazer. He tucks his keys into his pant's pocket along with his ID, which reminds me to retrieve mine so if security comes knocking I have proof that I'm allowed to stay here.