VI - Her

بسم الله
In the name of God
August 11th, 2004 8:55pm
Augusta, GA, Center of Decay

◍◍◍

His POV

"Miss October, you've been quiet and looking murderous," I finally say as she glances at me, "What's wrong?"

She sighs, seeming embarrassed, "I'm sorry. I'm just... Just upset about a few things. That's all."

Eyeing her as she fidgets with her fingertips, I ask, "I didn't do anything, did I?"

"You weren't any more irritating than usual, if that's what you mean," she responds lightly, "Personal issues, is all," October shakes her head, "It's not a big deal. I should get over it so as not to interfere with my work. I apologize, I hadn't mean for it to be affected."

She grabs the spray bottle of cleaner and crouches with her knees to her chest as she tucks the bottle of cleaner under the sink.

"You do not have to pretend to be okay, Miss October," I say quietly as she tilts her head towards me, "Although I am your employer, I am not heartless nor am I a tyrant. I care about you the way every human should be cared for, so if you ever need to come in later to cool off or any other reason, you do not need my permission, you only need to notify me. I trust you."

Standing up fully, she takes the rest of the cleaning supplies off the counter and places them on the floor before sitting on the tile.

"Alright. Thank you, Mr. Silas."

Her gaze is down but tilts her head up at me with a grin; although most of her face is covered by her face veil, I can see the brightness in her eyes,

"JazakAllaahukhayr, that's real nice of you. I really appreciate it."

I nod and turn away, unable to respond with a sentence and instead say a simple but thankful phrase. "Alhamdulilaah."

Lower your gaze, Oliver.

She begins to organize the cleaning bottles and the beakers, pipettes, and labelled test tubes and I try to refocus on my current assignment. In the glass of a dyed substance, I see my reflection; my skin feels hot and I see that my cheeks are crimson along with my ears. Chewing on my bottom lip, I try to ignore the strange feeling and clear my throat. This... Is odd. It is very odd and I feel my heart racing. I shake my head, slightly disturbed. I must be unwell.

Maybe my lack of sleep is finally taking a toll.

I try to centre myself and focus on the millilitre lines that run up the side of the beaker, but for some reason, I have the urge to glance at October. And it is very, very, strong. I mutter dhikr and repulsion of the devil; O Allaah, please remove from me whatever this feeling is.

"-ot in here."

I don't bother to look up but say, "Sorry?"

"I actually feel so unfathomably hot even though we're approaching autmn. Of course, I'm usually overheated most of the time, but I think the room is hotter than usual."

"Yes," I say too quietly for her to hear, "It must be."

"See? You must be hot, too," she says, "Your ears and neck are flushed red."

"You noticed?" I murmur, touching the heated skin of my neck.

"Yeah, you're practically glowing." She walks over to the large glass windows across the room before saying, "May I crack a window? Since it is nearing autumn, I won't torture you with the air conditioner."