CHAPTER EIGHT

It was narrated that Ibn Mas‘ood (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “I enjoin you to be truthful, for truthfulness leads to righteousness and righteousness leads to Paradise.
A man may continue to tell the truth and endeavour to be truthful until he is recorded with Allah as a speaker of truth. And beware of lying, for lying leads to wickedness and wickedness leads to Hell. A man may continue to tell lies and endeavour to tell lies, until he is recorded with Allah as a liar.”

Al-Bukhaari (6094) and Muslim (2607)

The sun stood in the middle of the sky, sending it's hot rays all over, causing whoever stood under the sun for five good minutes to start sweating. It was hot. Kamal quickly wound up his glass immediately he settled inside the car and put on the AC. He just completed his Zuhr prayer at the company's masjid and he was going home to get his smoothies. Thanks to his wife, he had five cups everyday.

A smile crept to his lips as he recalled their mode of communication. Somehow, he enjoyed communicating with her like that. He had gotten used to it that he was always looking forward to her replies. And the part that thrilled him the most was that they all pretended to be unaware of their communication. Kamal let out a soft chuckle at the thought. It was weird in a way but it gave him an exhilarating feeling. They were far apart, yet so close to each other.

“If she's not going to talk about it, then I'll never talk about it” He murmured to himself with a smile. It's been two months already.

“Let's see how long it'll last” He said and his smile widened.

He drove through the gate of his home and parked his car. Then he alighted and went in. He went straight to the fridge and he smiled seeing the two cups of smoothies. One was well packaged for him to go with. His smile widened.

Nihlah never ceased to impress him. She resumed work exactly one month after the wedding. When she had asked what the fate of his smoothies would be after she resumed, through their note chatting, he had replied her this,

Well well well... You have to go back to work and I need to take my smoothies. So maybe we'll just reduce the number of cups back to three, just like it was before. I don't want to be selfish.

The next morning, she had dropped him a reply and it read,

Thank you for thinking about me. It means a lot...

And she had drawn the happy smiley at the end. Kamal had stared at the piece of paper for long. He felt a rush of emotion as he read that. He had no idea where that came from, but he did feel something after reading it. He had drank up the smoothie and wrote her a reply.

Hey, I should be the one saying thank you. You have no idea what a cup of smoothie means to me and you make me five everyday. No one has ever taken care of me that way, not even mum. So... THANK YOU NEHLAH

The day she was supposed to go back to work, she had kept four cups of smoothies for him. He was shocked to see four cups and he had quickly reached for the piece of paper underneath. It read,

Yes, you counted right. There are four cups there and you'll have the last one later in shaa Allah. Nothing is going to change. Don't ask me why. Anything worth doing, is worth doing well. I want to be the best baby sitter #winks#

And Kamal had chuckled at the last part. He had imagined her winking after saying that statement and his lips had held a beautiful smile. No one had ever made his likes a priority like she did and his heart filled with gratitude for her. He had written down a reply for her.