CHAPTER ELEVEN

It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are two types of the people of Hell that I have not seen yet: men with whips like the tails of cattle, with which they strike the people, and women who are clothed yet naked, walking with an enticing gait, with something on their heads that looks like the humps of camels, leaning to one side. They will never enter Paradise or even smell its fragrance, although its fragrance can be detected from such and such a distance.”
(Narrated by Ahmad and by Muslim in al-Saheeh).

The sun had began its journey to the west when the wind started. It was strong, blowing dust in all directions, making passers by seek for a hideout. Some could not even walk as tiny sand particles filled their eyes, clogging their eyesight. The many cars that were driving almost above speed limit on the highway, had to slow down, lest they bump into another car. The atmosphere was full of dust and if it would rain that day, then that would be the first rain of the year.

Kamal who was driving home from work was caught up in this wind and as much as he wanted to hurry home to his wife, he had to drive slowly and carefully. He didn't want to die now, not yet. He wanted to enjoy this new feeling he had discovered, to the fullest. He smiled as the image of his wife popped up in his head. She had healed him and he just got to realize how much love and care he had deprived himself from getting since he got married, all in the name of loving another woman. He was experiencing a whole new feeling, a feeling so sweet that it always left him yearning for more. He would admit it, that gradually, he was falling in love with his wife.

He smiled again as he drove through the streets and finally stopped in front of the gate of his house. The atmosphere was still windy and it had began to drizzle. He honked and after a while, the gate was opened. Parking the car, he picked up his briefcase and alighted, loosening his tie as he walked towards the entrance.

A tensed and frightened Nihlah was standing behind the door when Kamal pushed the door open muttering a salaam as he did that. Immediately she heard his salaam, she came out from behind the door and ran into his arms. Kamal almost lost his balance as she slumped on him with full force. He held her with one arm and gently dropped his briefcase on the floor before he enveloped her in a warm hug. Her body felt stiff to his hold and he could feel her heart beating wildly in her chest. It was easy to figure out that she was not fine.

“What is wrong Nehlah?” He asked and he felt her tighten the hug.

“I'm scared” She said in a whisper. Her eyes were closed and she buried her face in his chest.

Kamal let out a small smile. He felt like a Prince Charming in a fairy tale who needed to rescue his damsel in distress. He began to draw soothing circles on her back.

“What is scaring my princess?”

Before she could answer, the intensity of the drizzle increased and the sound of the rain splashing over the roof startled her. She let out a small scream hugging him tighter.

“The wind... The rain... Thunder... I'm scared” She said in a low voice which was already breaking. She had began to cry.

Kamal was surprised.

He knew of children who were scared of rain; thunder especially, and maybe lightening. But seeing an adult scared to this point, it was his first time. Somehow, it was amusing to him.

“Don't be scared Nehlah. I'm here and I'll always be there when you need me”

Listening to his words, Nihlah felt her racing heart calming down. She found comfort in his embrace and his words were so soothing and reassuring. She had been like this since she was a kid. She could play with water, but she was never in the rain. Strong winds like this one always scared her to the point of making her cry. Thunderstorms were worst because Nihlah could black out just hearing a loud sound of thunder. Rainy season was her worst time of the year. She never looked forward to it.