In Dearly Need

It was another day on the island. The soft breeze made the trees and flowers dance as white, fluffy clouds drifted by the blue afternoon sky with the sun shining brightly over the land.

On a strip of railroads, a small engine puffed along the tracks, taking one train full of haybales towards the Apple Orchard. His green paintwork gleamed on the sun's rays while his wheels moved him along the tracks.

He sighed happily as his eyes raised to the sky, looking at the clouds. His mind was blurred with expectations, once that train was his last assignment before his daily breaktime. He had on mind hanging out with his lover, or meet up with Thomas and James for a talk or to have some fun. However, it was unlikely for his friends to be on their breaktime just like he was; Summer was the busiest season of the island so the vehicles would have more jobs do, not to mention their breaktime wouldn't be at the same time as it was at the previous seasons. Yet with those factors, he'd find a way to enjoy the break somehow.

Throughout all this thinking, he had failed to realize that the orchard was just a few inches ahead. He'd pass by the place if it wasn't for his driver applying his brakes. Suddenly coming out of his trance, Percy grinned and wheeshed some steam as he slowed to a stop.

The workmen approached his train and started to take off the haybales. While waiting for the content to be unloaded, Percy was surprised to see one baby deer searching for its mother just beside the rails.

Being him one animal lover, he couldn't help but feel rather sorry for it. "Is that deer alone?" He questioned the workmen that were unloading the content.

"I'm afraid to say it is. I suppose the adult deers went out to feed themselves on some path and they forgot this baby here." One of them replied.

"Oh that's sad..." commented Percy.

"Yeah, and I don't think they'll return so soon." admitted the workman as he put a pile of haybale on the floor.

Percy once again eyed the deer which, at the moment, was feeding itself with grass. He hesitated for a second before questioning, "Well could I have the deer?"

The workman felt rather surprised with the small engine's suggestion. "As in, get it to be your pet?"

"Yeah, it'd be nice to have an animal friend to make company while I do my jobs!" Percy chimed happily.

"I'm not so sure if that's a good idea, Percy. I mean, the railway is a very noisy place for a deer to stay." He adverted.

"Oh I'll find a way! I'll try to be a nice owner!" Percy piped up happily.

The workman wasn't so easily convinced, but trying to refute wouldn't result on nothing. Knowing the small engine, he would always try to prove him otherwise. He just nodded before he kept on with the unload. Once the haybales were finally unloaded, Percy uncoupled himself from his train and gave two toots before heading off.

After a while of puffing down the tracks, Percy came across Nia setting down at Knapford Station waiting for her crew to unload the goods and groceries for the local merchants.

She averted her gaze from the platform and grinned when she saw Percy, "Hey, love. How you're doing?"

"I'm doing well, thanks for asking...." He replied, lowering his eyes towards his buffers, but the gloomy tone of his voice implied otherwise.

"Hey, what's the matter?" She questioned softly.

"Well...It's just that when I was at the orchard I came across one baby deer that was lost and....I felt very sorry for it..."

"Oh, but don't worry hopefully it'll find its mother soon." assured Nia.

"I hope so..." mused Percy.