4| ravenous

Ava

The next morning wasn't how I'd expected my first day at work to go. I'd woken up late, so I didn't have time for breakfast. Molly had given me an earful for missing breakfast, but I'd grabbed a donut from the pantry and left in a hurry. The traffic didn't help my situation either. When I went flying through the doors of my soon to be office, I was a breath away from kissing the ground had I not held the door tightly. My hair was a mess because of the marathon I'd just ran from the parking lot to here, and I'd never felt this sleepy in my life before. Well, that's what I get for getting shit faced drunk the night before.

All of the employees were standing at the entrance, waiting for me. Their eyes were wide when they saw my condition, some even whispered among themselves. I clenched my fists, clearing my throat. "Good morning, everyone. I'm Ava Thompson, and since Mrs Collins has retired, I will be in charge of the Las Vegas business starting today-"

"You're junior partner." A voice interrupted my speech. I blinked when I registered a man scowling at me. He appeared to be in his late forties, with a bulging stomach and balding head. "Why did they give us a junior partner? We need someone experienced."

"I assure you-"

"I don't need your assurance. This is outrageous. Does the head office not care about the Vegas department that they sent a kid to supervise us?"

"Robert!" The woman beside him hissed and pulled his arm.

I stared at the man for a few seconds, taking slow steps inside the building. It was big, probably thirty stories high. Nothing compared to the New York office, but unique in its own way. There were fewer employees though. Only a couple of handful. "Robert, is it?" I walked in front of him. "Do you want me to repeat my degree to you? Do you doubt the board so much that you think they'll send someone incapable to supervise you? Actually, I'm not here to supervise. I'm just someone who will report the progress to the head office. I'm an employee, and I expect all of you treat me as an employee. Not your boss."

Robert's scowl deepened if that was even possible, but when the woman beside him dug her nails in his arm, he didn't say anything. 

"How long have you worked for Smiths, Robert?" I asked him.

"Ten years." He spat out. "And I-"

"I've worked in Smiths for three. They still made me a partner, junior or not. What about you?" I raised an eyebrow when he didn't say anything. 

Then I turned to the entire crowd. "I'm not here to be your enemy. You're all going to be my colleagues and I respect each one of you. That being said, excuse my language, I won't take anybody's shit. Ever. I appreciate constructive criticism, I welcome it. But I don't tolerate hate without a reason. I'm your employee as long as we maintain a mutual respect. But if you overstep your boundaries I will have no option but to take action, even if I don't want to."

Some nodded, some whispered, some didn't do anything. I smiled, "Alright, off to work. We got lots to do today."

I walked inside the building without another word. I'd been told my office was on the top most floor and I was excited to see it. My boss had told me it was bigger than my previous one, and my previous one had been big enough. So when I turned the knob to my office, my mouth hung open. It was beautiful and it was so much more than what I'd expected. Black and white, a huge window giving me the best view of the city. I stood at my door, gulping, trying to absorb it all.

"Miss Thompson? Is everything okay?" I heard someone ask from behind me. It turned out to be short woman, pixie cut hair and a warm smile on her face. One look and I liked her. "I'm Brenda, by the way. I sit at the reception."