Chapter 15

Human, look at me. The soft voice echoed, but with a commanding tone.

I turned cautiously to where I felt a presence and what I saw surprised me. Sitting in front of me was a wolf. Not just any wolf but my bonded wolf. The one I would shift into once I came of age. I could feel the connection I had with her in my soul and in my mind. She was the same deep black as my hair but the right half of her face was a silver white. She tilted her head to the side and I looked into her eyes, the odd, uneven pairing of green and silver. She was fit, I could tell from how her short coat clung to her muscles. Her left ear had a notch in it, right where the piercing I had gotten for my birthday was. Her back paws were the same silver white as the right side of her face but the color turned into the jet black color as the rest of the fur at her ankles.

Are you feeling better? She asked. I must’ve looked startled that her mouth didn’t move when she spoke because she gave me a wolfish smile. We ARE bonded. You can hear my thoughts and read my body language.

“I feel better, thanks…” I whispered my voice hoarse. “How long was I out for?”

She shuffled her feet on the ground but didn’t answer.

“How long?” I said, louder now.

2 weeks. Too be fair, I only woke up last week too, just because the silver wasn’t a direct injection into my system, but yours. Leaf Splatter has done her best to remove it from inside your system, but we had to bring in reinforcements. The good news is that it’s no longer running through your bloodstream, though it has already done its damage. Our bond is much weaker than it was before the Bonding Ceremony. In fact, I’m surprised we can still communicate this way. Usually, that amount of silver is lethal to the bond of unshifted wolves.

“Two weeks?! My pack must think I’m dead! Oh god…” My poor brother…he must think the worst. “I thought silver couldn’t be completely removed if it was injected directly. So there has to be a catch right?”

I suppose so. You may not be happy with it, but you might have died if we didn’t do it. In a few weeks we might even allow you go back to your pack, assuming everything goes well at the Council meeting in a few days.

“Back? Back home?” my heart jumped with joy at the thought of being able to see my family and friends again.

Yes…but please don’t get your hopes up. You are still far too weak to make the journey home. You’ll need to stay at least another two months if not more.

I sighed, remembering what Marcos had told me before he injected me with silver. “You know what happens to wolves that can’t shift…..Exile.”

 “That’s okay. If our bond is as weak as you say it is, chances are that I won’t be able to have a Shifting Ceremony…”

We sat in silence for a few minutes, as I tried to wrap my head around everything that just happened.

Finally, I spoke. “You said the silver had already taken effect when you managed to remove it from my bloodstream. What did you mean?”

It’s not something I can explain, you have to see for yourself. She nodded her head toward a small pool of water that collected at the base of a tree. Your reflection will show more than I ever could.

Cautiously, I made my way toward the reflective liquid, curious but scared at the same time. I looked at the wolf, who stared at me encouragingly. When I reached the edge of the water, I took a deep breath. Was I really ready to face the effects of the silver? What if my face was twisted into something different or looked like it had melted off? What if the procedure the wolves had done to save my life had left me with scars? I released the breath I had been holding and gathered up the courage to look over the edge. The moment I saw my reflection in the water, I let out a scream.

I stumbled backwards in shock of my reflection. I fell on my back, gasping in surprise. I took deep breaths to calm my racing heart then sat up again, though my fall caused my wounds to open up and begin to bleed again. There was no way that the girl I had seen in the reflection was me. A million thoughts raced through my mind the image of my reflection was seared into my mind.

“There’s no way that’s me…” I mumbled.

Oh that’s you. And because of our connection, the same changes you went through I went through. And that was not fun, let me tell you. She huffed. Right now, our connection is only physical, the mental part of it is not complete yet. She sat there staring at me, registering the many expressions that must be flickering over my face. I realized I haven’t told you my name. she said after a long pause. I’m Phantom. And I am the next Alpha Queen.
°

°

°

Hey pups!! First of all, I want to apologize greatly for not updating in over a month!! I cant believe I let so much time pass between updates! School has been hectic though and things with my family haven't been the greatest. Also..I cracked my laptop screen..and i don't have the money to fix it right now. But hey! I made it to another chapter so we're all good....right?...no? okay..

Haha anyways! Guys we passed 1K reads!!! Thank you so much for reading this! I never expected it to reach this far! I'm sorry to those of you i kept waiting for an update! And to those new readers coming in, I hope this story hasn't disappointed you yet!

You all know what to do!

Comment, Vote, Message me with questions or concerns (or ideas if you have any!)

I will always love you!

~AngelOfTheStorm