Chapter 2

I stared at my mom in disbelief. Was she really going to send me and my brother away without food?

"But me and Kasei haven't eaten yet. And I doubt Cynthia has as well." Tanya pipes up, knowing that as the eldest, she can get Mom to change her mind.

My mom glares at us and finally sighs.

"Fine. Go get an apple. But hurry up your dad is expecting you."

Sorry guys. Tanya whispers through the mind link. I tried.

I give her a small smile and shrug my shoulders; it's not hey fault my mom can be a b!tch.

It's fine I reply it's all about you. For today anyway.

I smirk at her to let her know there are no hard feelings.

"Let's go, Kasei." I say, grabbing my not so little brother. He grins at me and holds his arm out to me so I can link my arm through his. Once we were out of my mom's hearing range I speak again.

"I think you look great Kay. Handsome as hell, even."

He laughs, the only sound he's made today. Well the only sound he'll ever make.

*~*~ flashback ~*~*

It was a cold day in early fall, which my father took as a bad omen since cold days come late to Southern California. He wanted me and my siblings to stay inside and, as always, Tanya and my mom insisted on following his orders. But I had never been a good listener and decided to wander outside when nobody was paying any attention to me (which believe me wasn't that hard). And of course my little brother decided to follow me.

We spent a couple of hours playing outside in the chilling wind, throwing leaves at each other and playing tag. When I finally decided it was time to go home, I called Kasei and he can running toward me and grabbed me hand. I was so in love with being an older sister and I remember looking down at his cute 5 year old face and thinking that my little brother was going to be the most handsome werewolf out there.

We were in sight of the pack house when it happened. Kasei had stopped for a second to tie his shoelace and I had kept waking, slowly, home. Suddenly, Kasei screamed and in an instant I was running back toward him. What I saw next terrified me.

A huge mountain lion was circling my baby brother and he was on the ground, blood oozing from a scratch on his back. I was immediately in defense mode. I grabbed the largest branch I could and swung it at the much larger predator with all my might, hoping to distract it from Kasei long enough for him to get away.

Apparently it worked too well because in a flash, the huge cat was on me and had knocked me over. I was crawling away as fast as I could and just managed to duck a blow from the clawed paw. I managed to roll over onto my stomach and was struggling to my feet when I felt it.

There was a searing pain on my back and I screamed as loud as I could. Once I was on the ground, I became easy prey for the mountain lion and it batted me around like I weighed next to nothing. I brought my hands up to protect my face and it ripped the skin on my back to shreds. Just when I thought it was going to kill me, I heard it yowl in pain. I gasped and looked up to see it turning away from me and saw my little brother hanging onto its tail biting into it fiercely.

I yelled at Kasei to let go and he did, landing on the ground with a thump. I ran towards him as fast as I could but the cat was faster. In a flash it was on top of Kasei and was biting into his neck.