Enemy Territory

A low groan passed by Thorin's lips as he came back to consciousness. He tried to will his sluggish mind to work through the haze he was under, but it was a slow-going process.

What had happened?

The last thing he remembered was the company preparing to anchor the boat and tug it across the river.

And then the light. He'd seen a light in the distance.

After that though?

Thorin drew a blank. He simply could not process things after that point, no matter how hard he pushed himself.

It was utterly frustrating.

He brought his hand up to his face.

Or tried to at least. It appeared that his hands were bound in what felt like rope.

He then tried to open his eyes, only to be met with darkness.

Soft fabric had been placed on his face, obscuring his view.

And, he noted, he was laying on piled straw.

He could hear the soft drips of water running down stone. The air was cool and musty.

Confound it all where was he?!

"Welcome, Thorin Oakenshield."

Thorin Stiffened.

*****
A sense of unease settled in Lyla's stomach and she hesitated to take her ring off.

There was something...offsetting about the elves below her though she couldn't place WHY she felt uncomfortable. The elves at Rivendell had been hospitable and friendly.
But these elves set her on edge.

She wanted to get a better look.

"I'll be right back," she murmured to Nori and Gloin who'd gone still watching the elves below them with trepidation.

She checked the tie of her scabbard and then slowly maneuvered down to the lower branches, trying to remain as silent as possible. She noted that more elves had come into the area, numbering more than a dozen now, each stood tall and slender, their long hair swaying around their shoulders as they moved. Each wore green or grey tunics and they were speaking in a hurried manner, their tones too low for her make out.

She lowered herself closer.

And nearly went tumbling as an arrow whizzed past her ear. Letting out a terrified squeak, she pressed herself flush against the tree and gazed downwards. A tall elf, with long blonde hair and grey armor stood, staring at the tree, his bow out and an arrow poised to fire. His eyes were sweeping over the tree, flicking through the branches searching for movement.

He'd shot an arrow at her!

His eyes narrowed and he slowly lowered his bow and murmured something to one of his companions nearby, his had rising up to point to the top of the tree. Towards the company.

She pressed herself against the trunk of the tree as two elves ascended the tree towards the struggling company. She did not trust these elves. Especially now that she'd almost been impaled by an arrow.

So she remained hidden, wary of what would happen to the company.

Nori and Gloin-who had freed themselves-balanced on the branch their knives drawn and furious scowls on their faces.

The first elf, the tall blonde male who'd fired the arrow, approached slowly, eyes narrowed as he assessed the fury in the two freed dwarves' faces.

"I think it best if you relinquish your weapons," he remarked, his lilting voice quiet and disturbingly calm.

Lyla could hear the power behind his words.