Battles For Freedom

Balin, a dwarf that was highly admired and revered for his wisdom and sound judgment, believed that HE, Ori, could complete this task.

It didn't make much sense to Ori.

Ori the quiet, shy scribe who was more adept at chronicling great battles, rather than participating in them, was tasked with using stealth.

"Ye are the only one Laddie," Balin remarked with a smile, "Ye are the one who will be the least suspected."

The wise dwarf had convinced their king that it would be a prudent idea to leave a small garrison behind in order to protect the mountain itself should anyone attempt to make a run for the dwarves' home.

Thorin hadn't been pleased at first, but his trust of Balin (despite the king's obvious mental struggle) was still too great for him t give up. He finally conceded.

Hence the reason why Ori had stayed behind with his two brothers, a few elf archers (including Legolas) and a dozen guardsmen under the direction of Dain Ironfoot who to oversee the organization of the unit before he, too, headed out to meet Thorin on the battlefield.

And yet, somehow, despite Balin's reassuring remarks and smiles, Ori did not believe that he was the perfect candidate for this most auspicious mission.

Even with his brothers by his side, he felt exposed, underhanded and terribly, terribly unsure of himself. Why Balin trusted him completely confused the poor creature.

But if it would help Mistress Baggins, then, Mahal willing, he was willing to try.

The sweater-clad dwarf gazed around the treasure room warily, noting some of Dain's guards eyeing him carefully, as they patrolled nearest the hall that lead to the gate.

But, herein, Ori found an advantage. With his unassuming nature and his status as a scribe and an appearance that dictated him to be far below 'warrior' status (even if he was good with a slingshot and war hammer), the few guards milling about had no reason to really treat his presence as threatening.

Their immediate attention was, instead, drawn to the piles of gold which made his plan a bit easier to enforce.

Distraction was a key component to success.

Dain's attention, however, proved to be far more difficult to distract. Having been assigned to remain behind long enough to delegate assignments before joining Thorin, Dain's eyes were firmly trained on following Ori's every move. The dwarf didn't seem to trust anyone within the company because of their association with the hobbit and Ori suspected that THIS was the other reason that Dain had elected to stay behind for a time. He wanted to calculate the threat that he possessed to...whatever it was Dain had done.

Which was why Dori and Nori had agreed (insisted rather) to stay behind and look after their brother.

They didn't trust Dain Ironfoot.

'I'm not leavin' you alone with him,' Nori had muttered, giving his younger brother a hard glare, 'You're daft if you think I would.'

Ori wasn't, in fact, daft. He understood that once his brothers had it in their mind that they would do something, then they'd do it.

And since Ori was forced to interact with the dwarf (much to his chagrin) he needed this boost of reassurance from his brothers.

Not that he'd actually tell them that.

He WAS glad they were there, however. Especially if he was to act his part, say his lines, and convince Dain of his trustworthiness...

Swallowing down his fears, he slowly approached the battle-ready Dain hesitantly, forcing himself to appear smaller, more frail.