Ill News is an Ill Guest

A short while later, when Lyla's eyes fluttered open, she noted that her muscles didn't feel so thoroughly beaten down. And she hadn't had a nightmare. She stretched her arms forward and tried to ease the small ache that had settled in her lower back as she stood.

Lyla gazed over at Thorin, who sat in the corner across from her, his arms resting on his knees, hands tucked beneath his chin.
Staring at her

"I'll be back," she murmured, tiredly, "I-I need to see the rest of the company. To let them know you're here. And then I'll have a look around, see if I can't find your weapons or...or something."

Thorin nodded mutely. He'd gone back to sitting on his straw pile, but his eyes never strayed from Lyla's face. He watched her carefully, with thin pursed lips, his brows knit tightly together.

She gave him a hesitant smile and slipped her hands in the pockets of her coat, the fingers on her right hand brushing over the cool metal of the little gold band.

She slipped the ring on and heard Thorin's sharp intake of air, as his eyes went wide.

"Be careful half-Lyla. Be careful." His quiet, pleading whisper reached her ears.

She smiled lightly and slipped silently back down the hallway and towards the staircase.

Lyla hesitated before ascending the stairs, wary of anyone coming downward. Her ears strained for sounds of elves still harassing her dwarves.

When she heard nothing, she hastened her pace.

And nearly barreled into a tall figure standing in the doorway.

A tall figure clad in grey and carrying a large staff.

"Gandalf!" She breathed in surprise.

"Mistress Boggins?!" Kili's quipped from his cell. "Durin's beard, what's going on?"

"My dear hobbit," Gandalf murmured gazing around, "Where are you?"

Lyla quickly put her hands behind her back and pulled the ring from her finger, slipping the gold into her pocket.

Gandalf's eyes narrowed as she appeared before him.

The dwarves were nearly in an uproar.

"How'd she do that then?" Ori muttered, astonishment lacing his words.

"A true burglar!" Oin remarked amused.

"By Mahal..." Fili muttered.

"There are many magic rings in this world, Lyla Baggins," Gandalf remarked, eyes contemplative as he gazed down his nose at the tired hobbit, "and none of them should be used lightly."

Lyla nodded in reply, "I've come to find that out myself actually," She murmured.

Then Gandalf chuckled shaking his head, "In all my days. I never supposed...you can learn all there is to know about Hobbits, but even after a hundred years, they might still surprise you."

He winked at her.

Lyla could feel the heat on her neck and smiled lightly.

"It's good to see you too Gandalf."

The grey wizard chuckled again, "Indeed. I was just telling these lovely dwarves that tonight is their chance to make an escape."

Lyla's eyes widened in surprise, "You're going to help?"

Gandalf shook his head, his beard swaying lightly, the smile disappearing from his lips.

"I'm afraid I cannot aid you...outright. There's a great many things that I must attend to, but I will do my best to distract, your ah, host."