Treasures

'CRACK'

Thranduil's brow twitched ever so slightly as the hilt of his sword connected with the side of The Master's jaw sending the stumbling. And with a quick thrust of his leg,

Thranduil's foot connected with the man's kneecap sending the howling creature stuttering, spluttering backwards into the frigid water.

He felt a sort of dark satisfaction at watching the man splash and struggle, coughing and gurgling in the cold water as he tried to keep his head buoyant. The Master's eyes were wild, his movements erratic, arms splashing about wildly.

Clearly, he did not know how to swim.

'Cruelest of ironies' Thranduil thought drily, peering down at the gasping man, his lips upturned into a thin smirk, 'And what a fitting end that would be.'

But even he was not so cruel.

No. Justice would be served, but not like this. There were others, who deserved to see the demise of so foul a creature (though only after he had been questioned).

"Get him out of there," He murmured lowly, stepping back from the splashing water and sheathing his sword again. "And bind his hands. There will be a city of people anxious to meet this betrayer."

*****

The bear's viciousness-coupled with the giant fire-breathing menace patrolling the skies-seemed to sap the fight from most of the guardsmen. They scattered and fled thought he doors of the banquet hall, determined to put as much distance between themselves and the creature.

Gandalf only stood by and chuckled as the men scattered like the dust on a windy day.

The townspeople remained still as stone, their eyes wide with fright and shock as they gazed at the massive black bear that peered back at them, standing firmly between their long table and the retreating men, guarding them.

Protecting them.

Gandalf's chuckles ceased at he gave a kind smile to Beorn for his services.

But his eyes continually drifted towards he back doorway where Bard and Legolas and a few other guards had retreated.

"Let this not be for nothing," he whispered to himself, his eyes wearied with the stress. "Let them have succeeded."

His eyes swept back over to the towns people who were slowly beginning to stand on their feet as the last of the guardsmen departed the building. The wizard noted the dark sallow cheeks, the thin cracked lips.

But also the spark of hope that had ignited in their features, sending a warm glow shining in their eyes.

"You must leave," He instructed kindly, but firmly. "Make for the trees. The dragon flies high and we know not if he will attack!"

A small woman with limp brown hair and overly large green eyes stepped hesitantly forward, her shoulders pushing back as he came to stand in front of the group.

Her eyes were blazing even as her tiny frame shook from exhaustion and malnourishment.

"We'll not leave our children." She murmured, her voice barely above a whisper.

But the words rang clear in the wizard's ear and her eyes never lost their determined fury.

The wizard understood. He understood he determine resilience of a mother.

He understood that power quite well.

And then the woman's eyes suddenly widened and with a small cry she stumbled past the wizard as many of the other citizens leapt to their feet, excited whispers rising in the air.