XXIII: Making Up For The Time We Lost

Several months have passed, and Akame's belly is already huge. She is already six months pregnant with twins. Kikyo and Silva were pleased to know that the new generation is about to start. Illumi was very cautious and caring of her during the pregnancy, he didn't want her to be in a risky situation since a simple scratch can harm her now that she has a weak immune system.

They are now having dinner with all the Zoldycks. And even though they have been married for several months, Akame still felt weird eating at the same table as them. She quickly had a close relationship with Kalluto since they were already pretty close when she was still a butler. Milluki and Zeno have a proper relationship with her as well, but not much close. But Silva and Kikyo are still distant from her. They only talk to her if it's necessary, which is very seldom.

Akame suddenly felt a kick from her belly while she was drinking her water. This caused the glass to be dropped and shattered.

"I'm sorry!" She quickly picked up the glass, but the broken parts cut her finger. "Ouch!"

"Akame, are you okay?" Illumi quickly held her hand and was alarmed as he saw a wound. "What happened?"

"I suddenly felt the babies kick, so I dropped the glass. I'm sorry."

"Don't mind that. Someone clean this up. I'll just take her to my room."

"Illumi, that's just a scratch. Don't make such a big deal about it." Kikyo frowned.

But the two were already on their way to the room. Kikyo just rolled her eyes at them and continued eating.

"Did she say that the baby kicked?" Kalluto asked.

"Yes, why?" Milluki answered.

"I'm just gonna go and check on them."

"Tell them to stop overreacting"

Illumi quickly tended to Akame's wound as they entered his old room. He poured antiseptic and disinfectant into the wound to prevent bacterias in entering.

"How do you feel?"

"I'm fine, just a little dizzy. You can go back to the dining hall Illumi. Your mother might get angry."

"No, I have to make sure you're fine."

"I am fine, Illumi."

They heard a knock from the door, and Illumi told them to come in. They were surprised to see Kalluto.

"Kal? What do you want?" Illumi asked.

"You said the baby kicked right? Can I feel it?"

"Oh," Akame was taken aback, but smiled. "Sure, but they're not kicking now."

"It's okay. I can wait. They'll kick again right?"

"Why are you so curious about this Kal?"

"Well, I am the youngest child. So, I have never witnessed pregnancy before. Isn't it amazing, a human child is being formed inside your womb?"

Illumi remembered the day when Kikyo and Silva found out they were pregnant with Milluki. He was also fascinated with his brother being inside his mother's stomach. He used to ask questions about it, and his father keeps telling him that he will just be another member of the family and assassin.

He watched silently as Kalluto asked questions to Akame and patiently waited for the babies to kick. They all kept talking until night came and when it's time to sleep.

After three days, Illumi woke up from Akame's whimpers. He opened his eyes and saw that she was having chills but was dripping with cold sweat. He put his hand on her forehead and it was burning hot. Worry immediately flushed through him.