i hope my last kiss is with you

Established Relationship

It's been 27 days. For 27 days Wanda has been alone, waiting. The mission was only supposed to last 36 hours but now Natasha's been gone for so much longer than that and Wanda is desperate to see her again. And, even though she doubts she'll be back tonight—it's already nearing midnight—Wanda stays awake anyway, restless and hopeful.

It's raining—something Wanda finds fitting, all things considered—and she sits at the window in Natasha's living room, watching the rain fall in the dark. She had moved into Natasha's room at the compound weeks ago, feeling a little less lonely surrounded by her girlfriend's things. It's an invasion of her privacy and Wanda knows it but she would do anything to ease the loneliness that has settled over the rest of the compound. Sure, the other Avengers are around and willing to include Wanda in their shenanigans. But they're not Natasha.

So, she hides away in Natasha's quarters—and it's not like Wanda didn't already practically live there as it was, the pair just hadn't made anything official. She tries to keep herself occupied, reading what feels like half of the books in the compound library and cooking an obscene amount of comfort food which she usually leaves in the communal kitchen for the others to eat because she hasn't been able to stomach much lately.

Tonight, she can't bring herself to do anything but curl up next to the expansive window in the living room that overlooks the surrounding forest. She doesn't have the energy to try and distract herself with meaningless tasks so instead, she presses her forehead against the cool glass of the window and listens to the pitter-patter of rain hitting the metal walls of the compound. Closing her eyes, she tries to picture where she thinks Natasha might be right now. Ideally somewhere safe, uninjured, and tucked away for the night. She hopes Natasha is sleeping—at least one of them deserves to be getting some rest tonight.

Her hopes, however, prove to be illusory as the silence in the room is broken by a low, "Fancy seeing you here." Wanda startles and jumps to her feet, red at her fingertips before she's even turned around. The moment she sees who it is though, her magic fizzles away and her knees nearly give out.

"Natasha," Wanda breathes out, reaching out for her but frozen to the spot. Her feet are glued to the floor as Natasha moves forward, a little stiff and limping heavily, but she still reaches Wanda in seconds.

"Hi," Natasha says softly, almost whispering, as her arms come up to wrap around Wanda's waist.

Wanda responds by kissing her, desperate and needy. She clings to her, gripping onto whatever she can get her hands on, terrified that she's dreaming and Natasha will disappear again any second now. Natasha responds in kind, bringing a shaky hand up to cup Wanda's cheek and the other shifting to rest on the side of her ribs. Wanda, for a moment, lets herself get lost in the kiss, in the feeling of lips on hers. She can't even be bothered to care that Natasha is soaking wet from the rain and dripping water onto everything she touches, way more focused on the fact that Natasha is finally here and breathing and kissing her as if her life depends on it.

Natasha is the one to eventually end the kiss, moving to keep her arms wrapped around Wanda's waist as she pulls away to look her over like she's making sure nothing has drastically changed since she's been gone—like she's scared life has moved on without her. Wanda, in turn, rakes her gaze over the visible injuries marring Natasha's skin, wincing at the amount of blood and bruising she finds.

"You're wearing my clothes," Natasha speaks first, saying this like that's what has been on her mind since she walked through the door. Her hands twist into the fabric of the sweater Wanda has on and she raises a single eyebrow, looking Wanda up and down appraisingly.

"They smell like you." Wanda knows that she should apologize for taking what isn't hers, for invading Natasha's personal space. But she doesn't. She can't. As an afterthought, she adds, "You're bleeding."