Chapter 3

Safe Haven - Chapter 3

Kyrr loped easily through the brittle grass. The dawn air whistled in his ears, and he turned his head to watch the savannah beginning to wake. It was already morning, but the last night's events were still fresh in his thoughts.

What is Felidae trying to do?

He shook his head in bewilderment, and simply kept running. The Fierce Clawed borderline was drawing near, and he stopped at the border as customary, waiting for someone to greet him.

Soon enough, a pair of lionesses stepped out from behind a rocky cliff and trotted towards him. He did not recognize them, and he dipped his head warily in greeting. "Greetings..."

"We have been expecting you, Kyrr," they said in unison, nodding their heads in return. He fell in step between the two, feeling acutely cautious. Their air was aloof and polite as they led him into their territory. Kyrr felt almost unwelcome, and he made a mental note to tread lightly. The Fierce Clawed were not to be trifled with, as weak as they had become.

They ran on, and the terrain began to change. The familiar savannah grass of the Noble Hearted territory soon changed to distinctive dry, brown - gray dirt. Cliffs and cracks began to appear in the landscape. The lionesses took a sharp turn into a steep dusty ravine.

They proceeded down a rocky, steep slope to the bottom of the ravine along the side of a sheer cliff. Kyrr marveled at their audacity, but intelligence. A ravine such as this, with only one entrance, would be nearly impenetrable to enemies. However, cubs would have to be kept away from the edge of the path. But with the Fierce Clawed's strength and agility, it probably would not be a problem. Kyrr laughed to himself.

Rocks skittered down the narrow path under their paws, and Kyrr was having a difficult time staying on his feet. He came close to falling off the edge several times, and by the time he was at the bottom, his heart was pounding. The two lionesses followed him closely behind, leaping down the path with boundless agility. They wove past him and marched into the shadows and into a large, stone cavern, where they turned around and addressed Kyrr again.

"Welcome to our humble home." One said, then they both backed away as a large, powerful lion strode out into the light. Nervously, Kyrr suddenly realized there were many pairs of eyes glinting in the darkness. Watching him. Judging him.

The new lion looked over Kyrr, who was dusty and tired, coolly. "So, you're Kyrr, the cub prodigy that Noble Hearted is always boasting about... I am Talema."

So this was Talema. Kyrr studied the leader's tall figure and sturdy build. His sandy pelt was glossy and well groomed, and his thick mane swept easily over his shoulders and stomach. His amber eyes were dignified and aloof. Kyrr could see how he attracted so many lionesses.

"Yes, I am Kyrr, King Talema," he answered with confidence, knowing well that he represented his whole pride. "King Felidae sent me to accept your request of a territorial discussion on the eve of the next full moon." He did not add his personal thoughts, but instead dipped his head once more.

Surprise and satisfaction flashed briefly in Talema's eyes, but he hid it behind a mask of politeness. Kyrr took note of this, and narrowed his eyes slightly. The leader continued, "He did? Very well. You are dismissed, Kyrr." Talema nodded to one of the lionesses, who stepped out into the light. Kyrr was pleasantly surprised to recognize Akaiya, the female from the night before.

"Akaiya, escort Kyrr back to the Noble Hearted territory," Talema said, before returning to the shadows. With a flick of his tail, he dismissed the other lionesses.

Kyrr followed Akaiya out of the gorge. For a moment, they did not speak. Kyrr noticed several details about the female in the daylight. Her coat was unusually darker in some areas, almost patterned. Her eyes were a vivid yellow - green, the color of spring savannah grass. He cursed himself silently; how had he been so careless to overlook these details, even in the darkness? He had been lucky that he'd learned her name, or else he would not have found her so easily.

He attempted polite conversation, as the silence was deafening. "So, Akaiya, right?" He knew full well her name, but he wasn't sure what else to say.

She nodded, not speaking. She matched his long stride easily with a smooth, even gait.

He tried another question. "What are your bloodlines?" The question seemed harmless enough, and he looked at her eagerly for her answer.

Akaiya's face twisted, and she let out a humorless laugh. "My father is Talema. He took me in after my mother was banished from our old pride. She left me to build her new life without the shame of her mistake."

Kyrr didn't know what to say. They trotted on quietly, then he replied, "I... Have a similar story. I don't know who my father is. And my mother is practically worthless." He didn't mean to let a bitter tone slip into his growl, and he looked away, embarassed.

Akaiya looked up at him curiously. "Why? At least you have a mother."

"She acts like I don't exist," he said quietly. "I try to please her, but she doesn't care. Even though others respect and admire my accomplishments, it is as if she is blind to them."

She nodded quietly, her slender tail flicking. "I can understand that."

Nothing more needed to be said. They reached the border, and Kyrr growled a polite goodbye to the female. Akaiya returned the farewell, and started back. She broke into a swift, graceful run, and disappeared over the top of a rolling hill.

Kyrr watched until she was gone, until the dry wind blew, until he turned home.