Chapter 8

Safe Haven - Chapter 8

The tiny claw of crescent moon grew into a half circle.

Kyrr lived like an outcast, which he was. He lingered at the edges of the Noble Hearted territory, in constant fear of being driven out. But he did not dare to go too far, as if some kind of thread lured him to stay, as if he went too far, he would forget.

But he did not forget.

He was almost certain it was Kharia. The theory that Kharia had killed Leo seemed more plausible to him with each day. It was certainly not beyond her, and she wouldn't think twice about blaming Kyrr about it. But he wanted to know why, and his drive for answers forced him to make a decision.

He would have to go to the Noble Hearted - Fierce Clawed meeting.

He would be able to blend in with the confusion, and he would find Kharia, and he would force the answers from her.

The half circle swelled into a full, bright moon, and then it was the night of the meeting.

Kyrr made sure to wash himself as the sun set, erasing the scent from his fur. He would go tonight dressed in stealth. He checked his reflection in the watering hole he visited everyday, and wondered what had become of him. He was a fugitive, haunted and misjudged, but only days before he had held an honored position in the savannah's most respected pride.

But tonight could be the start of change.

As darkness fell, Kyrr set out. His pawsteps were silent on the cool ground, his mind solidly set. He had rehearsed his night many times in his mind, and he knew the route to the border by heart. The full moon was peeking above the line of the horizon, and he could soon see the shifting shapes of the two prides gathering, silhouetted in silver. The two kings led their prides, talking quietly while the moon fully rose.

Kyrr was content to hide in the valley of a small hill. He could hear the lionesses talking from his vantage point, and he would be able to hear when the meeting started.

When he heard his name mentioned, he perked his ears.

"... didn't Kyrr, that cub, do something to be driven out of your pride? I've heard gossip that he did something horrible..." It was an unfamiliar young female voice, probably of the Noble Clawed. Kyrr strained to listen, and he pressed himself carefully over the top of the hill.

"Yes," another voice replied. With a shock, Kyrr realized it was Lussa. She continued, sadly. "I don't know why, but he murdered Leo, my brother. He's never usually..."

A sharp gust of wind battered Kyrr's ears just then, and he could not hear her next words. When it was over, he lifted himself up again and listened intently.

"... I don't know if I know my friend anymore. It's not like him to do something like this."

Kyrr wanted to roar, snarl, hiss. He didn't, and wouldn't do something like kill Leo! But she hadn't believed him. If he could run to her now and convince her that he was still the childhood friend she'd known...

Feeling anguished, he lowered himself and stopped listening.

---

The meeting began soon after.

Felidae stood beside Talema, with the moon high above their majestic figures. They greeted the groups, and started with the tradition of sharing news before discussing territories. Kyrr did not bother to listen to the false story about him, choosing instead to scan the lionesses. At last, he spotted Kharia, sitting at the other edge of the meeting place and looking distant.