Chapter 5

Safe Haven - Chapter 5

No. No. How can it be?

Kyrr looked from face to face, hoping for someone to say that it was just a joke, that Leo was fine.

But nobody did, and he was left to stutter.

"You think I k-killed him?" Kyrr asked. His mind was numb. "I didn't kill h-him!"

Panthera snarled. "All evidence points to you. You're dripping wet, so you probably recently washed off his scent and the blood from the fight. But you can't hide those scratches. And besides, your filthy scent is all over my poor son's body." She spat the last words, grief warring with fury in her eyes.

"I didn't kill him! I'm soaked because I washing off mud from my fur! And I got tangled in a thorn bush!"

All around, he heard the disbelieving laughter of the lionesses.

"Liar!"

"Traitor!"

"How dare you kill your own kind?"

Kyrr shook his head wildly. "No, I didn't kill Leo!" He spotted Lussa's frightened face in the crowd, and he pushed through towards her. Lionesses leaped out of his way with disgusted yowls. Kyrr stood in front of Lussa and felt himself being torn at the distrust and confusion in his friend's eyes.

"Lussa, you were there. Tell them I wouldn't kill Leo!"

She hesitated, fear filling her eyes as she backed away. Kyrr felt his heart breaking. Was Lussa turning against him too?

Triumph flared in Felidae's black, glittering eyes. He pushed past and roughly yanked Kyrr out of the way. "Lussa, you have the evidence. Tell us all what happened today on the plain."

"Well..." Lussa stammered. "Leo and Kyrr were arguing earlier today, and they were both very angry... I don't think it's completely impossible that Kyrr killed Leo, after we went ahead to spread the news. Kyrr had stayed behind while Leo was bringing his catch."

She didn't meet Kyrr's eyes as he pleaded silently with her. No! Lussa! You know I wouldn't do this! He whispered under his breath, feeling desperation wash over him. Was this how he was going to end, in shame, forced out of his pride? He hung his head, knowing that nothing he said would persuade them. But why would someone murder Leo, then blame it on him?

An unwelcome voice whispered in his head. Or did you really kill him, somehow? Maybe in that daze, you decided to end his life?

But I would remember if I had, even if I had killed him, Kyrr thought, doubtful. Besides, I was asleep. I can't kill someone in my sleep.

Or can I?

"I hereby sentence you to humiliation, and then permanent removal from the Noble Hearted pride," Felidae growled, lashing his tail. "Let the humiliation begin!"

Hordes of lionesses leaped upon Kyrr from all sides. He felt talons and fangs rip into him, Panthera snarling and Felidae roaring, and he huddled his head into himself. The pain he felt was agonizing, but not as painful as the one he felt inside.

Dimly, he noticed somebody slipping into the clearing: Kharia. Her fur was impeccably groomed and freshly cleaned, and her sharp eyes glimmered. He suddenly flashed back to the time Leo had led his band of cubs against him, and he wanted to cry out for her to help you, defend him.

But she stalked into the lioness's den and disappeared into the shadows.

Kyrr dragged himself from out under the pile of snarling lionesses, and crawled away. He didn't know where to go, he just wanted to escape their hatred and fury. He mutely heard them catcalling behind him, but they didn't register.

The sky opened up and wept above him, and Kyrr dragged himself far, far away, until he no longer knew anything. He fell into a small hollow and drifted into a troubled coma.