6.

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS POTENTIAL TRIGGERS THAT WERE LISTED IN THE FIRST CHAPTER. PLEASE BE ADVISED.

The two men stayed in that position for a good amount of time. At first, things were quite awkward between them. Pete would occasionally ask Everett if he was doing okay, and to which Everett would reply with a definite yes. After Pete had offered him the earbud, Everett had calmed down so much in so little amount of time. He didn't even want to leave the elevator anymore, he would much rather sit here with Pete, with just them together in the darkness. Pete's earphones rang out some of Everett's favorite songs, which would surprise him.

The two continued to sit together in the darkness until Pete's music had stopped playing and left them in silence. Everett had opened his eyes, for he had them closed without even knowing, and looked over at Pete, who was staring at him. Those green eyes met Everett's again and made him almost pass out. They were so close, and he could see every detail in them. There were very small specs of teal and brown but most of the eye was bright green. "Looks like that's the end of my playlist," Pete said quietly, the warmth of his breath hitting Everett's face. "Do you want me to replay it?"

"I'm okay now. Thank you, Pete." Everett said quietly, gripping his hand a little tighter.

Pete looked down at their hands and wriggled a little, and let go of Everett's hands. Everett gave him a confused look, as he backed away. "I uh... I'm not making you uncomfortable, am I?" Pete said, concern reaching his face.

Everett gave him a small smile. "No...I liked it." Everett said quietly, making Pete look away.

The two sat in silence for a moment, before Pete turned back around. "Listen, I have to level with you," Pete stated, his voice breaking a little.

"I'm listening," Everett said back, his smile fading a little.

"I uh...I really don't want to do any harm. But I've been really intimate with you and I feel like I'm making you uncomfortable. I know you said you liked it, but...but I've kinda been a little...close with you. I need you to set a boundary cause I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself." Pete said, his voice marked with shame.

Everett scooted himself closer to Pete, gaining confidence as he did so. "You haven't made me uncomfortable at all. I would have said something. Besides, you helped me a lot today." Everett replied.

Pete gave a small smile, and then looked down. "Let's learn about each other a little before anything."

"I'm fine with that." Everett said with a smile, trying to get Pete to smile back.

Pete only looked away, pulling his phone out of his pocket, the bright light hitting his face. The time on his phone read off 3 a.m, making Everett audibly gasp. "Well, so much for sleep." Everett said quietly, grabbing Pete's attention.

"What do you mean?" Pete asked quietly, putting his phone away.

Everett laughed to himself a little and leaned his head against the cold wall. "I was planning on getting lots of sleep tonight, so I can drive overnight to my family's house. But with all this noise...There really isn't any point." Everett said, looking up at the ceiling.

"I uh- Nevermind. I'm sorry to hear that." Pete stated quietly, rubbing his eyes.

"Speaking of which, why were you awake earlier?" Everett started, curiosity filling him.

"...I just couldn't sleep," Pete said quietly, his voice breaking.

Pete looked away a little, the separation between them noticeable now. "I went downstairs to get something to drink since the storm was so loud. But then I saw you, and it reminded me of someone I really cared about. I had to step in and see if you were okay." Pete finished, looking at his phone again.

Oh. He was just being nice. Everett's stomach went into a knot and left his throat dry. He didn't know why he was so disappointed by this. "Your wife, right?" Everett said quietly, remembering the conversation from earlier.

"...Yeah. God rest her soul." Pete said quietly.

Everett's heart dropped. He didn't know what to say. "I...I'm so sorry." He said solemnly.

"Don't be sorry. That's just life." Pete said, a small raspiness coming out.

Everett sat there for a moment, contemplating if he should push the subject forward, or drop it. As he was about to ask, Pete interrupted him. "She was um- well she was killed in a firefight. She was serving in the military and just...lost. She was an amazing woman." Pete said, wiping his eye with what looked like an itch.

"Pete...I really am-"

"You remind me of her a lot. When I saw you down in the lobby wearing the earphones and sitting alone, I knew something was up. She used to have the same thing. She would lock herself in the basement for days, and not say a word to me." Pete said, looking over at Everett, tearing up. "I just...wanted to make you happy, is all."

Everett flashed Pete a small smile, reached over to Pete, and put his hand on his shoulder. "I really appreciate that Pete. Thank you." Everett stated, making Pete smile.

"Listen...I know we just met and stuff, and if the topic makes you uncomfortable-" Pete started.

"I'm listening." Everett said, holding his hands at his knees.

"Ok...do you mind if I ask why the storm was uh- you know- setting you off?" Pete 

Everett stared at him for a moment, the silence in the room suffocating them both. "It's okay if you don't want to answer." Pete said cautiously.

"...When I was little my parents were both murdered." Everett said. making Pete's eyes widen. 

"We don't have to talk about this-" Pete started, before getting cut off.

"Some psychopath broke in and murdered them while robbing the house. I heard the gunshots and ran out to find my parents...."He paused for a moment, before continuing. "Later, I was sent to live with my Aunt before I ran away, due to the mental and physical abuse. Nothing sexual, thank god." Everett said casually, while the room became heavier.

Pete could only stare at him as he continued the story. "I was homeless for a while. Saw a bunch of things I shouldn't have. Eventually, my great uncle and my great aunt found me on the road and took me in. The best way to describe it was that the system failed my family. I didn't have a family until them." Everett continued, his breathing becoming shaky.

"...My great uncle has since died, but my great aunt and her daughters invited me for Thanksgiving over at their house. That's why I'm here." Everett finished, wiping a single tear.

As Pete was about to say something to Everett until the light in the elevator flickered on. The two looked at each other as the gravity changed, and the door opened with a ding as if nothing happened. They were at their stop.

PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU NEED ANY HELP! I'M ONE MESSAGE AWAY.