Love Can Drive You Crazy

What little light she had left was all she could grasp onto. The one beacon that pulled her away from endless torture and pain of being truly alone.

...

Was...this how Iowa felt?

All those years of isolation, your family, friends, and even your country turned their backs to you.

Cleveland: No wonder she did all of this...I hate it...

Cleveland was sitting in the Commander's office staring at the wall with an empty and almost lifeless gaze that didn't fit someone like her. Her friends tried to cheer her up, but they couldn't grasp just how deep her pain really went.

The only one who did was the Commander.

The same woman who brought Enterprise out of her Death March, the one who rose through the ranks using nothing but her muscles and her smarts.

She's the only one who knows how it feels to lose everything.
—————

Cleveland:...Commander?

Kiana stopped writing and looked down at the girl in her lap.

Cleveland: Do you...have any family?

...

Kiana softly pat Cleveland's head, smiling sadly for her.

Kiana: I did...all before things went to shit with the Sirens. My sister looked very much like me, but I couldn't watch her grow since the Sirens killed her in front of me...

Cleveland: Oh...I'm sorry if that was difficult to talk about

Kiana: I didn't say much for a reason, but I lost more than just her as well

...

Cleveland: How?...How do you do it?

Kiana put the pen down and opened a drawer, pulling out the picture of her and Admiral Maddock.

Kiana: You find a new cause, a new way to live...otherwise the world will leave you behind, and it will never stop to pick you back up
—————

She was right...so, so right.

All Cleveland could feel was the emptiness in her heart. Oh how she wanted to hear the screams of excitement, the chatter they always had, hell, she missed when she was called Clevebro.

She just wants them back.

*click*

She moved her eyes to the door, feeling the little clutches of her heart tighten when Kiana walked through the door. The white haired woman turned her own eyes to Cleveland's, smiling softly.

Kiana: Resting in here again Cleveland?

Cleveland: Mhmm...

Kiana walked past her, giving her a pat on the head that she leaned into. Going to her desk, she sifted through documents and found what needed to be filled out.

As she sat there slogging away at her papers, Cleveland just watched her move. This woman, who had endured more pain than Cleveland ever could, is this cheery and strong?

She wanted to be like her, she wanted her confidence, her strength.

But above all, she wants her strength to save her sisters.

Cleveland laid down and looked to the ceiling, since there wasn't any missions yet, she could lounge around without worry. More likely than not though is that if there is a mission she wouldn't be able to go since she's unstable.