05

My mind felt in a different place this morning when I woke up. The more I thought about Nick the more and more convinced I was that I liked him. When I got to breakfast I saw Ziggy talking with some of the other campers at our table, I was happy to see that she was branching out, maybe now she won't keep trying to get us kicked out.

After breakfast I decided I would go for a walk, along the way Nick caught up to me.

"What are you up to today?" He spoke, so casually

"I'm going for a walk" I responded "Would you like to come with?"

"Sure, sounds fun"

We walked in silence for a couple of moments before Nick spoke up.

"So are you having fun at camp yet?" He asked, though I could tell it was not a completely serious question

"Besides Ziggy's idea of 'fun'" I quoted with my fingers "It's fine. How's being a counselor?" I teased

"Let's just say I'm not so sure I'll be one next year" He replied in a humorous tone

"You should" I replied quickly after he finished

He didn't speak but instead raised an eyebrow at my sudden request.

"I mean, it's just that I-I've been enjoying not hating you this summer, you're a fun person to be around, I might even say that I l-like you" I rambled out, my eyes widened as I realized what I had said.

"You like me?" He asked quietly

"No?" I denied, trying to take back what I said

"Cecilia..." He sighed, pausing "You know I can't like you. I wish I could, it's just with my mom. God, I-" He cut himself off.

"You're kidding?" I replied quietly in disbelief

"No, but I wish I was" He sighed, and turned to walk away

I stayed put for a couple of moments, taking in everything that had just happened. How had I managed to make a mess of everything so quickly?