Chapter Four: I can do this!

"Netflix? Hehehe~ I can't say I've heard of such a thing. Now tell me, since you come from a different time as you've stated, why are you really here, my lady?" His voice lowered to a whisper as he leaned close to my ear. All the amusement in his tone was gone as I felt a slight glare on me.

"I ran into the first shop I saw! Geez, dude, I needed to get away from the crowd since I was covered in blood and out of my time. I didn't know what else to do, okay? I'm sorry if you got the wrong idea from why I'm here, but it wasn't anything against you, I promise." I pale as I back away from him to get some friendly distance between us. 

"Geez? Dude? HAHAHAHAHA~ You truly aren't from around here!"

"Yes like I said. Forgive me for my outburst, but I'm not having a very typical day."

"I can plainly see that deary~" 

"Undertaker, is it?"

"Yes that's what I told you," he grinned oddly and tilted his head to the side expectantly.

"Would it be alright if I stayed here for a bit? I know it's a bit rash, but I can absolutely help you around here with things you might need." I shoot my shot, knowing that any sane person wouldn't poss-

"Sure~ I'm quite bored at the moment, which is very lucky for you. It also seems that you are undeniably a funny person hehe~" He cuts off my train of thought with his acceptance of my offer.

"Th- That's all it took to convince you? Okay, you won't regret this!" I excitedly say.

"Hehe~ You do realize what I do here and what you'll now be helping with right? Most young women would faint at even the thought of preparing a dead body."

"Women from my time are used to doing what it takes to get a job done, no matter how horrific some might find it. I should also let you know that I am skilled at many things that this job would entail, from cleaning the body, applying makeup, to paperwork. I'm literate and know the basics on how the human body works." I finish my mini-speech, leaving out how all of this information is basic knowledge for anyone from my time. With youtube and high school, I'm practically able to know the basics of most jobs during this time. 'Man, being an introverted loner really helps in this situation. I'm now thanking anything that I binge-watched youtube videos about anything to get me this basic knowledge.'

Undertaker hummed at my confession in a pleased tone. He then started telling me the basics of what this job would apply and how I get a percent of what he makes from each client. He mentioned how he doesn't care much for money, so I'm mostly working for room and board at the moment. Soon after he went over the basics he leads me to a separate room to start washing the dead body. Looking closer I notice it's a young woman that couldn't be older than 15 lying there. Her hair was knotted and dirty and she had a bruise around her neck which indicated strangulation to be the cause of death, seeing as there were no other visible wounds on her body.

"Undertaker do you have any shampoo or conditioner? I don't see any here."

"Hehe~ What's that deary?"

Oh right. Victorian England, no shampoo or conditioner. "Uhm, don't worry about it, it's just something from my time." I try to think of other things I could use to get her hair looking healthy and clean, then it's like a light bulb lights above my head as an idea came to me. "Do you have soap?" 

He laughs loudly at my question as I stare at him expectantly. "Of course I have soap, I'm not some sort of barbarian!~" He leaves but returns just a second later with a bar of soap. I sigh in relief as I can now get the dirt and grime from her head.

"Can you grab me an egg and some olive oil as well? Oh and a bowl and spoon to mix them." I ignore the weird stare I got from him as I'm pleading with literally anything that this is the one time '5-minute crafts' didn't lie to me. He returns shortly with the things I asked of him and start to get to work. I carefully wash her body before moving on to her head. I use the oil and egg mixture to gently massage the knots out of her head before I move on to washing it all off with the soap that he gave me. Looking over my work I'm pleasantly surprised that her hair looks healthy and lively, I can't say the same for her though.

"So I guess next is dressing her and making her more lively, yes?"

"As lively as she can get, Hehehe~" He picked up the semi-stiff body and walked over to the dressing and makeup station. "Now, don't worry about the clothing, that's not what I'm testing you on right now, just make her look like she's simply sleeping instead of dead. That way she'll be just as her family expects, tehe~ even if it is all just a lie." 

"Just let me grab my bag so I can work with some more familiar tools." I quickly retrieve it, not waiting on a reply, before rushing to her side with my makeup bag. I use some of the makeup he has, seeing as how not all of my makeup matched her skin tone. I don't use anything that I normally wear, but I do use the extras I keep just in case I need them. I work with colors to counteract her bruised neck before moving up to her face. I carefully apply everything before looking over at my work, satisfied. I barely got to inspect the makeup before I feel Undertaker's breath on the shell of my ear.

"Nice work indeed, my lady. I don't think I'm going to regret hiring you." He says just above a whisper. I shiver, not expecting him to be so close, and jerk forward slightly as a slight blush erupts on my cheeks.

"Th-thanks! I told you I am capable. So does this mean I can officially start working for you now?" I stare slightly pleadingly.

"Miss Y/n, I do believe so. This new even for me hehehe~"