Seven

a/n: short-ass chapter for ya'll since i haven't been active in a while :(( i'm currently stressed with school works :>

"So, Emily I have an offer for you," Dejun's father suddenly said, which made the girl lookup. The father and son have been talking in Cantonese, so she really didn't understand their conversation.

"My friend who works at Mount Elizabeth Hospital told me they had vacancies for the children's ward," He added, which made the girl think.

It's the hospital that Johnny's family-owned, and where she used to work before. Does she really want to do it?

"I thought maybe you could do it?" Dejun's dad added as she observed the change of emotions on her face. 

"That offer sounds nice, but I'll think about it, thank you," She replied, and took a sip of her coffee, in hopes of calming herself down.

 Why on earth am I nervous when anything related to Johnny is being mentioned?

After breakfast, Dejun offered to drive Emily to work since her driver was on sick leave. The drive to the hospital was awfully quiet. None of them wanted to speak, so they just let the music play through the car.

"Let me know if you decide, so I can make arrangements," Dejun said, as they pulled over at the hospital's lobby. 

"Decide on what?" She replied, acting to be confused. "Singapore," He said, as he rested his arm on the car's armrest, waiting for her to get off.

"I'll let you know when I decide," She replied and opened the car door and got off the vehicle, and closed the door. She slowly took her steps as her hand gripped her handbag.

Emily Maureen

Do I really want to fly back to Singapore? I ask myself as I was inside the elevator. I was spacing out, until I heard the ding, signaling I was supposed to get off. 

As I got off the elevator, I was greeted by one of the nurses. "Doc, we have someone who needs a check-up," she said, which made me anxious. Emergencies are really something I don't enjoy.

"I'll see them in five minutes," I replied, as I quickly went inside my office to get my coat and stethoscope. I walked as fast as I could to the children's ward.

 Sheila, the nurse who called me earlier was waving her hand at me, signaling me to come over. I walked towards her, only to see a little girl laying on the bed, pale.

I quickly checked her vitals, to make sure that she was breathing fine. "What seems to be the problem here?" I asked her, as she was looking at some charts.

 "Severe fatigue. Temperature is at 40," she said, which made me gasp. This poor girl.

"Let's get her an IV, and keep monitoring for the next few hours. Where is the patient's guardian?" I said as I put my stethoscope around my neck.

"I am the guardian. Is everything alright?"

I heard a familiar voice again. Was I hallucinating? Is this even real? I turned around, only to see him again. Standing there holding a cup of coffee. I froze for a minute, still processing if this was real or a fantasy.

"Um, Doctor?" Sheila said behind me which made me clear my throat. "Ah yes, her vitals are alright, though I suggest we give her a drip and be on monitoring until her fever drops," I said, as I stood beside the child who was sound asleep.

"Mama...Mommy..." The child stirred in her sleep, which made him take a step closer and set aside his coffee. "Your mommy's going to be here soon okay, Luna?" He said, gently as he held her hand.