Fourteen

"What do you mean," Dejun replied slowly, clearly confused. He knew that his mother and wife clearly didn't get along. He also didn't like her. 

He felt a lot of resentment towards her. She was always away, leaving Dejun to grow up only with the presence of their housekeepers.

Emily's throat started to thicken, she looked down on her feet, trying to find the proper words to say. 

"I can't Dejun- I'm not read-" Before she could even finish her sentence, Dejun cut her off. 

"Then when will you ever be?! It has been two years since your feud happened, and I still don't understand why. What on earth did you two fight about? A handbag? jewelry?"

"She fucking called me a murderer because of my miscarriage. Are you happy now?" Emily replied, tears running down her cheeks.

 Dejun turned around, his gaze softened at the poor girl.

 "Why didn't you tell me?" He asked, his tone softer and more gentle now. 

"Where were you after it happened? You fucking went to London, and your dear mother took the opportunity to harass me,"

"Tell me. Is our child's death a joke to you? Did you know how hard it was for me to deal with all that alone?" Emily said, as she stood up from the stone bench, and looked at him in the eyes. 

 Dejun looked away, unable to answer her question.

"It's late, go to bed first. I still have some calls," Dejun said, which made the girl scoff sarcastically.

 "You and your mother definitely share the same blood," She said under her breath, as she turned to leave. 

He clearly heard this, rage building up inside of him, which he chose to ignore and not fight with his wife.

2 weeks later

The move to Singapore was refreshing for the couple. They haven't had a long conversation since the party, and it was honestly great for Emily. 

"I'm leaving," she said, as she clutched her purse in her hand. 

"I'll take you to work," Dejun said, as he took the last sip of his coffee.

 "No, I don't want to trouble you, you'll be late," Emily replied, as she wore her stilettos.

"Don't worry, I won't be it is still early," Dejun insisted, and Emily didn't even bother to argue back.

The two went to their huge garage. Emily stood by the side as Dejun picked what car he should use for the day. 

"We'll take the Royce today, you good with that?" Dejun asked her since she didn't like sedans. She was more of an SUV person. 

"Yeah," She replied curtly, as she walked towards the vehicle.

He opened the door for her and motioned her to get inside. Emily tried to hide her emotions as she hopped inside the luxurious vehicle. Okay, something is definitely up, She thought to herself.

He started the engine and started backing out of the garage. Emily just fidgeted with her hands the entire time. The drive was quiet, the sound of the radio filling the atmosphere up.

They arrived at the hospital complex, Dejun getting of the car, to open the car door for her. Seriously what is up with him, Emily was genuinely confused why he was acting this way.

 Emily was going up the stairs when a white Mercedes pulled up behind them. The chauffeur came down and opened the door.

It was Johnny.

Dejun looked at him with an empty gaze, fists balled, unsure if the feeling that he felt was right. "I'll get going now. I'll pick you up at lunch," Dejun said, as he purposely kissed her temple as if he was marking his territory.

Emily stood there in shock, not knowing how to react. "Um, Maureen?" Dejun called her, which made her snap back into reality. 

"Uh, yeah, I'll see you later. Have a good day," She tried to sound calm, but her body said otherwise. 

"I'll call you," Dejun said, as he got inside the car, and drove off.

She took a deep breath before going up the stairs and tapped in her ID.

"Emily!" Stacey said as Emily entered the children's ward.

 "Hey, Stace, what's up?" Emily replied as she wore her white coat.

 "Did you hear?" Stacey asked her, as the two walked side by side.

"About what?" She replied, scanning through her patients' record for the day. 

"The chairman is stepping down today," Stacey said, placing her hands inside the pockets of her white coat.

"Johnny's taking over the position," Stacey said, which made the girl halt in her steps. 

"Oh, that's good for him I guess," Emily replied in a low voice, as she continued walking towards the children's ward.

"Let me guess, you're already rethinking your choice huh?" Stacey said in a teasing tone, a smile forming on her lips as she looked at her friend's reaction. 

"Nah, I think I made a good choice," she said.

 "Whatever you say, babe," Stacey said, as she placed her phone back inside her pocket.

"I'll go to Neonatal Care first, see you later?"

"Yeah sure, I'll text you! Bye!" Emily replied as she walked the other way around.

Emily arrived at the children's ward on time. She quickly sanitized her hands, before going inside. She gently knocked on the VIP room. It was a young girl who had congenital heart disease.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Emily Liu-Xiao, I will be your child's new doctor for now," Emily introduced herself. 

"Angeline Ma, Mica's mom," The woman introduced herself. She and Emily seem to be the same age. The two shook hands before Emily proceeded to check on the child's vitals.

"So far, your child's progress has been good. Her body has been reacting great to the antibiotics. You will probably be discharged two to three days from now," She said, as she flipped through her records.

"What a relief, thank you. By the way, Doc, are you new here? I haven't seen you before here,"

"Ah, I actually had my residency here. I'm from Taiwan, and I decided to come back since they had a vacancy," Emily replied, with a smile, as she finished writing on her records.

 "Oh, that's why," The lady replied, as she gently touched her daughter's hair.

"If you excuse me, I still have to get going ma'am, I'll see you around," Emily said, and slightly bowed. 

"Ah yes, have a good day," The lady replied. Emily smiled at her one last time, before closing the door.

She walked towards the nurses' station and gave her instructions. She read through her other patients' records, making sure she didn't leave anything behind.

"Emily," A familiar voice of an old woman called her from behind. The girl's eyes perked up, hearing the familiar voice.

It was Johnny's mother.