Coma Girl

Alicia knew something was wrong straight away. Just after six o'clock, after emptying the washing machine and hanging up the clothes on the rack in the pergola, she notices the police car on the street. She heads to the front and walks up to the driver.

Detective Bailey is alone, "Have you a minute?"

"I was just about to step out," says Alicia.

"I can give you a ride. I need to show you something."

Alicia nods and goes inside to grab her keys, locks up and enters the waiting police car. Bailey drives, not saying anything. After a few moments, she flips the operations screen towards Alicia and says, "Open the case folder."

Alicia touches the icon and a video stream runs. A shaky camera sequence of two males fighting. She recognises one of the men.

Det. Bailey waits for Alicia to react.

She doesn't.

"He's lost control," says Bailey.

A thousand thoughts ransack Alicia's mind. "Where is he?"

"I was hoping you would..."

"I don't know where he is."

"Well," says Bailey, "Nathan's lost the plot. It's gone viral. You need to reign him in. I'll help you."

"Is this being investigated?"

"No charges have been filed, as yet."

This is too much for Alicia, "Can you not?"

The detective shrugs, "This time, sure. What about the next time? The distress he's going through right now is creating anxiety which could push him to severe depression."

Alicia fights off an impulse to start crying, "What about my distress? What about what I'm going through? What if he's right?"

"No,' says Bailey, "don't go down that road. Remember, you've had grief counselling, he hasn't."

Alicia sits back and collects herself, "The only person who would know would be Heather."

"Don't do this, Alicia. Looking for blame is not going to help you, or Nathan."

Alicia knew the only way she can cope is to totally cut herself off from her emotions. "What do I do?"

"We need to find Nathan."

They sit in silence for a minute.

It's Bailey who breaks it, "Where am I taking you?"

"Intensive care unit at the hospital," she answers, "I'm visiting Heather Saltash."

This doesn't seem to sit well with Bailey, "I strongly recommend you don't. When the time is right, I will interview her. Let us take care of this."

Alicia turns to her, "You're planning on interrogating her?"

"We have to get a statement, eventually."

"She's my son's girlfriend. I have to pay a visit."

"Okay," says Bailey. Another quiet spell resumes and stays this way all the way to the precinct's medical facility. Bailey pulls up into the ambulance bay, stops and reaches over into the back seat, pulling out a sealed white envelope containing bulky items. She hands it to Alicia. "This is Heather's personal items from the accident scene. I planned on delivering it to the family, but since you're going in, you can deliver it to them."

"I'm off duty," replies Alicia, leaving the detective at a loss for words. Alicia takes the envelope and climbs out. "Find Nathan, and please notify me before you go arresting him."

Bailey confirms with a nod and drives off.

Alicia enters via the emergency unit, making her way to the upper levels. She strolls along the antiseptic corridors, feeling the envelope in her hand. It is weighty and feels as if a single item is responsible. After passing the nurse's desk, she walks down the corridor heading away from the intensive care reception lounge. She passes a well-kept aquarium and stops at a door, and peers inside.

An older couple watches over a young woman asleep. Heather lays on the bed surrounded by beeping indicators and feeding tubes. Alicia waits a moment before stepping inside. The girl's parents turn to her. The father, Jonathan Saltash, an entrepreneur tech guru Alicia never heard of until her son started dating the man's daughter, glares at her, then storms out of the room, brushing past her.

The mother shows no animosity. Beth Saltash smiles at her, almost apologetically. "He's not taking it very well."

"I understand.," says Alicia. "How is she going?"

"We spent the day playing music. She responded well, which the doctors said is a good sign."

Alicia looks at Heather, comatose on the bed, studying the girl's face. Her angelic, almost celestial beauty remains unaffected from the bandages and bruising. Alicia could easily understand what her son saw in her.

"Her hand moved," says Beth.

"That's great."

They both look at Heather for a long moment, when Beth offers, "We blame no one. Not Julian. Not you. It was nobody's fault."

Alicia exhales, fighting back harsh emotions, the sound of her son's name spoken out loud burning at her heart like acid. "I need..." she says, thinking of an excuse to get the hell away. "...to make a call. I'll be right back. Can I get you anything?"

"I'm fine," answers Beth, oblivious to the panic attack the other woman is experiencing.

Alicia turns to leave, but feels the envelope in her hands, the white cardboard crumpled and stained by her sweaty hands. She reaches out and hands the envelope to Heather's mother. "It's her stuff," she says and walks out.