The Call

With no other line of investigation to pursue, Alicia returns back to the hospital, determined to confront Saltash head-on, deducing that his evasiveness and unusual behaviour is something that demands to be explained. She approaches the room and sees an increased security detail loitering in the corridor outside the door. Alicia backtracks to the reception desk and with her police badge, she gets the nurse's attention.

"How long will Miss Saltash be here for?" she asks.

"We won't know for a few days."

Alicia indicates towards the corridor, "Are those goons allowed to be here, after visitor hours?"

The nurse studies the private security guards, "Nobody's allowed. But we do allow her mother to stay overnight, otherwise, the girl will panic. As far as those goons go, I'll be kicking them out later on."

Alicia is pleased, "Is there a tea room?"

The nurse smiles. "You can use the staff room. Over there."

"Thanks," says Alicia as she walks towards the opposing corridor. The staff room is at the far end. There are no tables or chairs, just a bench with a small sink, a hot water dispenser and a bar fridge. Alicia makes herself a tea, looking at the medical propaganda posted on the whiteboard.

When the tea is made, she steps out and finds an empty room. Alicia enters it and sits in an armchair next to the bed, waiting in the dark, watching the external light fade, trying not to think about anything. Within an hour, it is dark enough to assume visiting hours are over. Alicia gets up and walks back to the corridor. The security detail is gone, a single bed light shines from within. Alicia steps into Heather's room to find her awake.

"Where have you been?" demands Heather.

"I went to see Libby?"

"Who?"

Alicia shows her the phone. Heather's eyes instantly become less confused. She takes the phone from Alicia's hand and says, "He carried it with him? In his pocket. I noticed, but I didn't say anything. It didn't bother me he had his ex's phone. It just didn't."

Alicia blinks. "His what?"

Heather looks at her and shrugs. "I never asked."

"Are you able to access it?"

Heather studies the phone. "Julian used a password method."

Alicia says, "The Codex," and pulls the codex from her bag. Heather's eyes light up, takes the book and opens it.

"Julian made me use this system," says Heather. She looks at the door, her anxiety palpable. "Why is mum taking so long?"

"I'll go find her," offers Alicia. She gets up and exits, just as one of the guards returns holding a coffee. "Where is Beth?" she asks the man.

"Level two. Getting a bottle of water," replies the guard, unsure if he is supposed to do so.

Before he could give her grief, Alicia rushes to the elevator and goes down one level. The vending machine is there, but it is alone. The corridor is devoid of life. Alicia buys a bottle and heads back into the elevator, eager to find Beth and do a little soft interrogation on her. Her plan is to start at the lobby and make her way up, but the lift goes all the way down to the basement. As she stands there holding a water bottle, the elevator stops, opens its doors and allows Jonathan Saltash to step inside.

He's not thrilled to see her.

The doors close. They both stand in silence when Alicia decides to go on the offensive. "You can't hide her away forever."

"Yeah, I can," replies Saltash. "I can do whatever I want. You cops don't intimidate me."

"I'm not just a cop, I am Julian's mother."

Saltash is unfazed, "Your son's antics nearly cost me my daughter's life."

The elevator stops, its doors open and Saltash steps outside. Alicia hastens after him, her fury simmering, "What happened to my son?"

Saltash stops. He turns and glares at her, not saying a word.

"I have the right to know," demands Alicia.

"Is that so?" Saltash steps closer to Alicia. 'What happened to Julian is unfortunate. I'm sorry for your loss. I don't know what happened. I do know he was a reckless kid, and if you can't recognize that, then that's on you. You need to stop trying to blame others and start... "

"I'm not trying to blame anybody," Alicia has heard enough, "I'm just looking for answers."

"I have no answers for you."

"Well, you ought to try to find a better way of explaining this evasiveness to my husband. He's gone a little unhinged lately. You're not gonna like him."

A scream echoes from down the corridor.

Saltash's face loses its confidence, "Heather?" He bolts for the room. Alicia runs after him. They dash all the way and barge into the room to find Heather curled up at the head of the bed, freaking out.

"Make it stop," pleads Heather, her voice is beyond hysterical. Saltash runs over to comfort his daughter.

Alicia spots the sparkly phone on the floor, buzzing. She picks it up and sees that the incoming call is coming from...

Silvertroll

"Don't answer it," yells Saltash.

"Make it go away," screams Heather.

Alicia answers it and places the phone to her ear. She hears gibberish, a robotic voice, a digital demon speaking an arcane language.