Crosstalker

Phlox opens the kitchen cupboard under the sink and checks the control device. A network cable runs out of the unit and into a wall plate. She pulls the ethernet cable and the water stops, but it's too late, the floor is covered in puddles of water. Phlox stops to listen and hears more running water.

She dashes into the laundry, the tap is gushing out water. The washing machine is on, beeping. Phlox unplugs both auto systems. She yells, "You need to unplug it from the network."

She receives no response.

"Mrs. Caves?"

Nothing, just the sound of rushing water.

Phlox spots a holster hanging from a shelf. It looks like a gun, but inspecting it closer, she recognises the taser. She takes it and heads for the stairs.

"Alicia?" Phlox calls out, then pulls out the taser from its holster. She climbs the stairs, her finger off the trigger. Following the hissing of water, she enters the upstairs bathroom and finds Alicia, half wet, struggling to turn the water off. The taps in the shower are running, the hot water steaming up the mirror.

"You need to unplug it," Phlox tells her. "From under the sink."

Alicia follows the instruction and the water stops. She turns to see the weapon in Phlox's hands. "Do you even know how to use that thing? Give it here."

Phlox hands it to her. "We need to shut down the main network hub."

"How?"

"Who set it up?"

Alicia responds, "Julian," and heads to the bedroom at the end of the hall. They both enter and approach the computer rig. A large network router, multiple lights flickering, sits on a self. Alicia pulls its power, the lights go dead. "Do you think it worked?

Phlox shrugs, " I think so."

Overhead, an ungodly voice booms, "That is not going to work."

Alicia looks up, the voice is coming from the ceiling speakers.

The voice continues, "Every device is on the local decentralised near-field network. Decentralisation is king. It can not be corrupted."

"Who is this?" demands Phlox, struggling to hide the fear in her words.

"It cannot be manipulated. I cannot be eliminated." 

"Whoever this is," yells Alicia. "You're are committing a criminal act. You are facing jail time."

"You have no understanding of what you are talking about."

"Breaking and entering, three years prison."

"That is a deterrent that has no meaning in this instance."

 "Hacking into a private network, up to four years prison."

"Physical prisons can only be for the corporeal entities. Aim higher, aim deeper if you are to intimidate me." 

"You're fucking crazy," says Phlox. She turns to Alicia, "Don't listen to him. It's Silvertroll, trying to mess with your head.

"What are you exactly?" says Alicia, hoping to keep the intruder talking long enough to work out a way and track down whoever is behind this.

"I am what is inevitable. I sleep forever. I wake never. I fly perfectly beyond the heavens, where time and space live side by side."

Loud thrash music blares. "Gimme more demon drugs. Gimme more demon drugs. Gimme more demon drugs."

The lights turn back on, but they are red. The fear starts to suffocate Phlox. She glances over at Alicia seeking reassurance. Looking like she's not intimidated one bit, Alicia steps towards the door just as the robovac whizzes past outside.

"Fuck all this technology," says Alicia.