Rendezvous with Detective Bailey

Loitering in the cafeteria, Alicia stands next to the florist's booth, studying the assortment of gift baskets. Her eyes, already reddened from tears, stung from the organic chemical aromas. She spots Det. Bailey approaching her, and prepares her steely stance, anticipating for anything the cop could dish out.

"Was anything derived from the phone?" demands Alicia.

This appears to unsettle Bailey. "Nothing. The device was locked."

"Sim card?"

"She's not being investigated. No investigation means no warrant."

Alicia studies her colleague, but before she could ask her next question, Bailey beats her to it. "Did you get a chance to speak to her?"

"About the accident, no. Heather's talking, but hasn't mentioned anything."

"Do you believe her?" asks Bailey, "Considering she faked being in a coma."

"I don't know what to believe."

"If it means anything, I'm keeping the investigation open."

For Alicia, this is an unexpected relief. Having a fellow cop in her corner lifts the burden a little, giving her time and space to regain her sanity. "What's your next move?"

Bailey answers, "Her father seems desperate not to have his daughter give a statement."

"Leave getting that statement to me. I'll deal with Heather. You lean on her father."

Det. Bailey nods. She seems to understand her strategy. "Oh, I'll be leaning on him. Do you know Jonathan Saltash?

Alicia shakes her head. "Who is he?"

"A wealthy computer programmer and business mogul. He invests heavily in technology stocks. Interests include smartphone apps, cryptocurrency, yoga, and herbal vitamins."

"Yoga?"

"He's been arrested twice already over tax evasion and insider trading. He beat those charges, but something tells me there are more allegations to come."

Alicia lets this sink in. "Could Julian have been involved in any of this?"

"Apart from his relationship with Heather, there doesn't appear to be any other connection, but I will press him on it." Bailey reaches out and touches her shoulder. "We still don't know if this wasn't an accident."

Alicia nods. "Have you tracked down my husband?"

No answer escapes Bailey's lips.

Alicia presses her, "What's he done now?"

Det. Bailey hesitates, takes out a phone, opens an app and shows her. "This was last night."

Alicia looks at the streaming video, at the violence. "Oh my fucking God!"