epilogue

Kygo had faded into a huge golden bubble of light, speckles of stardust trailing from it, pooling in my hands and seeping through the cracks of my fingers. It was magical, and heartbreaking at the same time, but he had never looked happier and more at ease. After the bubbles of light had ascended and faded through the ceiling, I looked down at my hands, closing my fingers tightly over the stardust collected in my palms. Blues and greens and yellows and reds and pinks and golds, a brilliant array of colours, wild and beautiful, just like a boy I had once known.

Later, when I went home, I would find the letter he had written to me, hastily stuffed in my desk drawer amidst the pile of notes and stationery. I would read it and cry again, because Kygo had suspected this would happen but didn't dare to tell me for fear that I wouldn't do it, that I wouldn't grant him his freedom. And then I would cry even harder, because he told me I was the best friend he had ever had and would forever be, and if his suspicions were proven true, he would be watching from the skies, protecting me and helping me, just like what I had done for him.

But for now, I settled quietly on the floor next to where Kygo had once been, cradling the stardust gently and crying tears of sadness and happiness.

Heartache had never been so bitterly sweet.

Kygo, wherever you are, I hope you're happy now. You were the best friend I have ever had, and will forever be.