Chapter 5

A/N: Things are about to get real interesting after this chapter, so I just want to say now: If you are coming back for a re-read in the future after this book is done, please DO NOT spoil anything! It's so much better for someone to realize why a certain detail was added or why this was called attention to later on, when it comes into play. Drawing attention to those details before they become important ruins the surprise

Third Person

Over the years, Prince Virgil had discovered that taking some time to get outside made formal events such as the Sunstrix Gala much more bearable. Of course, he preferred to go on these little getaways alone, since they were much more effective that way, but he wasn't technically allowed to do that anymore. Actually, he was never really allowed, but no one enforced the rule until a couple years ago.

Roman was unsurprisingly the one to accompany him, being slightly less annoying than usual while the prince saddled up his steed of choice. Virgil did end up having to throw a saddle at him though for him to get the message that they were both leaving, rather than have the guard realize on his own and force him to wait up once he started moving.

"So, where are we going? Or am I not allowed to know that either," He had already received no answer when he asked the names of either horse, why they were out here, and if they were even allowed to be out here when the gala had to be ready in five hours.

"I wasn't answering your questions because I've been ignoring you, not because you aren't allowed to know," Virgil points out, much to the offense of his protector, "And there's a trail out here I've been on a dozen times. Your sappy a$$ will probably love it, and I couldn't leave you here without getting in trouble. It also happens to be much more peaceful when no one talks."

"I doubt that you've had the opportunity to go on this trail with a storyteller as talented as myself, so I suggest we test that theory," Roman proposes.

"Or you could quiet down and enjoy the scenery. You know, like a normal person would at this point," Virgil counters, "Look, two squirrels are fighting over an acorn, watch that instead of talking."

"Nice try, but I won't fall for-" He jokingly looked towards where the prince had pointed, blinking in surprise when he actually saw the two squirrels, "Wow, you weren't kidding."

So much for the not talking part, Virgil thought bitterly, seeing that his guard was too distracted by the spectacle to respond if he had spoken aloud. At least that would keep him quiet for as long as the squirrels kept at it and stayed visible, even if that wouldn't be as long as he'd like. Then again, it couldn't be very hard to keep finding distractions to keep him occupied.

It wouldn't take much to get him entranced by the nearby patch of espen, a wildflower that can be turned into a pretty useful healing salve when ground up and combined with water. Or maybe he'd be interested in the sword he may or may not have stolen from the prince of Keljiarc after the boy had threatened to run him through with it. The safety of knowing it was far away from Prince Owen far outweighed any guilt he felt for taking it.

Once Roman caught sight of the rusted blade he absentmindedly reached for where his own blade would normally hand, instead finding the liager he had been given for offensive purposes in the meantime. Virgil had once attempted to master the sharpened, throwable disc, fighting long-distance seemed a lot safer for him, but had dropped it in favor of something his stick arms would have an easier time with, "You know, I think the only reason my dad taught me to fight was because of some kids living nearby. They didn't like me very much."

"I get the feeling that I'm going to regret asking, but what gave you that idea?" Virgil questions reluctantly.

"They weren't exactly from the same side of town as us; their families weren't as well off," He began to explain, a wistful smile crossing his face, "Apparently, something about my polite nature rubbed them the wrong way, and they'd always call me rude names. One day, they got a bit bolder."