Chapter 34

Third Person

It wasn't often that Logan joined in the festivities of royals, having little reason to care for them enough to make an appearance in the stuffy atmosphere. That wasn't to say he wouldn't attend if given good reason, and assuring nothing went wrong with the exposure of the Sidero's was deemed pretty important by him. Patton kept him company on the sidelines, but the lighthearted banter came to an end when Prince Janus approached the duo, seeking information.

The discussion went smoothly, all things considered, trading facts and knowledge with increasing feverancy. By the time the interrogation broke out in the center of the room, their quick whispers had stifled and the two had moved closer to the action, Patton staying back with an encouraging smile. A brief wait, butt-in from Queen Julia, and clean set up from Janus was all they needed to continue on with the discussion.

"We can all agree that we don't want Harcshall to fall into chaos, correct?" Janus asks, managing to leave little to no room to disagree without sounding like a horrible person.

"Which means we can't completely be rid of the Sidero family, at least until an agreed upon replacement is found. And I shouldn't have to remind you all of how many people would take the opportunity to seize power and spark the conflict we're all hoping to avoid," Logan chimes in, strikingly bold in his generally calm demeanor, "So ideally, we won't get rid of the entire Sidero family at all."

Whispers once again broke out, harsh disagreements still quiet in their own worry of being sided against. Many glares were turned on the more than uncomfortable Melanie and enraged King Henry, who had been shadowed closely by several guards.

Janus was quick to bring an end to the unease, after a healthy pause, "Of course, after their evident treachery and plotted betrayals of nearly everyone in this room, we can't let either of them remain in power," He stated, looking almost sympathetic at he waved an open arm towards the father and daughter, "And respectfully, the current queen and Prince Devon most certainly have been involved as well. Which, for those of you familiar with their family tree," Logan brushes invisible dust off his suit jacket with a self-indulgent smile, "That leaves only one living child in the direct family line left, Prince Paxton."

A quick glance around revealed a mixture of people that seemed to recognize the name, and just as many confused looks. Virgil could understand why, he'd only met the man once in his memory, and that had been when they were both young children. He'd been much more sociable than his older brother, more carefree. From how little he'd heard of the second-in-line, Virgil would almost think he had passed away as well, like Lucas.

"The prince has largely remained disconnected from politics, which could certainly mean he'd be an inexperienced replacement, if he wants to step into his birthright at all. However, in this situation that might be for the best," Logan reasons, "With a bit of convincing, and perhaps even extensive training or advisory, I believe he could make for a suitable king. One in a new generation of rulers who will hopefully see less of this deceit and secrecy than their predecessors."

Virgil can't help but find himself silently agreeing, and looking around the room at the other heirs, he almost thinks some of them agree.

"Are you kidding? That imbecile is going to drive my country into the ground!" King Henry protested.

"Are you sure it's even still technically your country anymore?" The Raythenian queen spoke up, not bothering to look up from her nails until after she'd started her sentence, "After all, the whole point of the Treaty of the Cahrian Convention was to allow nations to band together in order to replace leaders who seek to destroy the peace between us. Which, in case you haven't noticed, you would count as," It looked like he wanted to say more, but a wave from the queen, accompanied by a dark blue glow, cut him off, "Continue."

Janus nodded his respect, and glanced towards Virgil. Seeing the invitation, he stepped forward to stand even with his father, "Why don't we take a vote? At least to determine what to do now with the Sidero's that violated the treaty, a more detailed solution can be found later."

"All in favor of exiling the members of the royal family, minus Prince Paxton, and their major advisors," The king of Keljiarc calls, raising his own hand; several more join him. It's far from a majority.

"All in favor of the temporary imprisonment of Henry and Melanie here in Ouranious, and imprisoning Devon and Guinivere by force if necessary," King Fenix of Persaya counters. More hands raise. Not everyone had voted, that much is clear from a scan of the room, but no one else was making a proposition.

"Well then, if no one has any complaints, I'll happily have them escorted to Daikora," The prison was tucked away in the edges of the capital, with plenty of solitary cells and accommodations for any 'special' guests.

No one disagreed.

- - -

One thought had been running through Virgil's head for the past hour: what now?

It was impossible to go back to the crowning and subsequent celebration, many leaders excusing themselves soon after the vote to sort out their affairs with Harcshall. As he had many times in the past, albeit many of them long before he'd even been tall enough to reach the kitchen pantry without climbing on top of the counter, he looked to his father for answers. It was the fate many children were doomed to when they didn't have the answer to something, and just as he had several times before, King Edrick provided an answer.

Together, they decided to wait on naming Virgil king at least until Paxton was solidified as the new ruler of Harcshall and the Sideros were dealt with. It was too early for you to have to bear such a heavy weight anyway, Edrick had reasoned, ruffling his son's hair. And somehow, Virgil didn't think he was talking about a pure gold crown.

Instead of immediately retreating to his room like normal after such events, he stood on the main balcony that rested behind the throne. It had one of the best views in the entire castle, and not many people even knew the stained glass window opened. Of course, now there was at least one more person that knew.

"So...what are we?" Virgil felt like bashing his head into the railing his arms rested on, and it must have shown, "Sorry, I know that's probably one of the last things on your mind right now. Just figured I'd talk about something less...complicated."

"Speak for yourself," He almost found it in himself to smile at Roman's surprised expression, "I don't know what kind of unnatural confidence allows you to think that trying to talk about this," He gestures between them, "Isn't complicated, but it most definitely is."

"Then why don't I un-complicate it?" He pulled Virgil by the arm gently until he was standing upright, "I really really like you princey, for reasons I can only begin to list. And I would really like to date you, and not get fired so even if you don't like me please don't," Virgil snorted, "So, brutal honesty out of the way, situation successfully uncomplicated, would you like to go out with me?"

Virgil couldn't speak. Or, well, he probably could, but he didn't know what to say that wouldn't end up ruining the moment or potentially the rest of his life. So, he did what some part of his brain must have considered to be the next best option. He put his hands on either side of Roman's face and kissed him. It felt...right, even with the massive amounts of inexperience he had.

"That's what you should've done on the boat," Virgil said when they broke apart, face turning bright red immediately afterward.

Roman smiled brightly, "I didn't want to scare you."

"You wouldn't have," He assures.

"I guess I'll just have to take your word for it," He laughs at Virgil's dubious look, "So, what does this make us?"

"How about boyfriends?"

A/N: Almost feels like I need another chapter to clarify some things, go more in depth with where things go next, but nah I'm good. Epilogue soon to come!