Chapter 13

TW: Brief physical violence starting with "Oh, really?" and ending  by the time you get to "Satisfied that they had nothing of use"

Third Person

The person that spoke had a rough voice and harsh laugh that both only could have come from years of smoking a pipe. It wasn't the type of voice that inspired comfort or trust in others, and neither did the group of armed men and women standing behind the man that had spoken. Combine that with the fact he was wearing a typical pirate hat, complete with the insignia that showed which group in particular they were dealing with. And, the group who chose a sword crossed over a clean, unused scabbard weren't the friendliest.

"Hello boys, my name is James Clemons, captain of The Spear. And they," He gestures to the people behind him, "Are a part of my lovely crew."

A quick glance at Roman revealed he was just as aware of the situation as Virgil was, but neither quite knew how to get out of it. There was little chance that none of the pirates could outrun Virgil, so that option should hopefully be eliminated from both his and Roman's mind. Then again, they might be here coincidentally, and he had no reason to worry. Although, he could never seem to get that lucky.

"I'm going to need both of you to come with us," Captain Clemons told them.

Roman rested a hand on the hilt of his sword, "And I'm going to have to disagree with you," Virgil didn't know how much a person had to be dropped on their head as a child to reason that two versus sixteen would be favorable to them, but it couldn't be a safe amount.

"Alright, have it your way," He raised one arm and made a fist.

"Wait, really?" Roman instinctively responded, more than a little shocked his intimidation tactic had worked. Normally, he had to injure at least a few people before he was perceived as a threat.

He lowers his hand, "Yes, you're completely in your right to disagree with me, and I have to admit you have a point. I only really need him to come with us," At his words, two of his crew members raised their own weapons towards Roman, and even he knew it wouldn't be a grand idea to strike out against them.

Virgil quickly intervened, not exactly enticed by the idea of seeing the guard's throat be slit open, "Now, don't do anything rash; no one here has to die tonight. We'll go with them peacefully, right Roman?" He prompts, sticking his rusty blade into the ground. That way, he could still grab it if he had to, but was also making a visible effort to comply.

Captain Clemons smirks, and the two watching Roman look back at him for his decision, "What a fine suggestion that is, Your Highness, just make sure your guard dog plays nice."

The two pirates lower their swords and step back from Roman, and Virgil realized too late how bad an idea it was for him to intervene. Clemons now knew that the prince cared enough about Roman to not wish for his death, and there was no doubt that he would abuse that as often as possible. He didn't particularly regret speaking though, knowing that Roman certainly would have perished had he said nothing at all.

"Get rid of your sword," Virgil instructed quietly, only glaring at Roman when he looked ready to protest. He reluctantly followed direction, undoing the clasp of his garter and letting it and his sword drop to the ground with a dull thud.

"Why don't we all go for a little stroll? Hell, I could even show you my ship," Captain Clemons suggested, pirates grabbing both of their arms immediately, "In fact, why don't we go there right now?"

Virgil had to play this smart, he knew that. Obviously, Clemons had been hired by the same person that recruited Dallas and Alexia, otherwise he would have at least hesitated before realizing who Virgil is. So, this was probably the next part of their plan, which wasn't preferable. Not only had Alexia's escape route completely failed him, it had led him directly to what would almost certainly be his and Roman's demise.