Epilogue

Third Person

Virgil was a bit amazed at how much he resembled his father within a few short months of being king. How had it not been longer? Maybe amazed wasn't the correct word, but he certainly hadn't expected to pick up his habit of spending long periods of time staring out of a window and just thinking. He couldn't exactly say that they thought of the same things during these periods, but he now knew how he could bear to sit with only his thoughts for hours on end.

"What are you doing?" Roman asked, breaking the silence with an amused lilt to his voice. He rested a hand on Virgil's shoulder.

"Thinking," He responded simply.

Roman huffed amusedly, "I meant," He brushed some hair away from the other's eyes, "What are you doing on the pedestal meant for that Correan vase we were gifted by Janus?"

"I like to sit on things that aren't chairs, because I've found that life will throw such difficulties my way that I cannot be bothered with what is and is not considered a chair."

"You are...trying so hard to be angsty right now," Virgil frowned at him, a little offended. Roman smiled slightly at his expression, laying his head against the top of Virgil's, "What do you think our first royal decree as a couple should be? Outlaw wearing green and orange at the same time?"

Virgil snorted, "Absolutely not."

"Why?!" He whined indignantly.

"I'm not going to have that go down in history as our first decree," He states simply, "I can already sense my ancestors rolling in their graves," He shuddered violently at the thought.

Before Roman could form an eloquent and convincing retort, someone cleared their throat behind them. Virgil jumped slightly while his partner turned to look at the newcomer. He recognized the young man from his first day on the job, actually, walking quickly from place to place with a messenger sack and letters in hand. So, he wasn't surprised when the teenager offered him a closed envelope.

Roman took it, since Virgil could barely turn, dismissing the messenger boy with a polite 'thank you'. He passed it on to Virgil, much more content to let his husband deal with it so he could keep both arms wrapped around the other, "It's for you."

"Don't I pay Logan to read mail for me in case it's complete junk or too long for me to bother with. And, maybe I'm hallucinating this, but that envelope still looks closed."

Roman shrugged as best he could, "Yes well most of the notes we're sent that end up being unimportant have either no or a royal seal."

Regular citizens typically closed letters with some sort of adhesive that lined the inside of the flap, and royalty usually used a wax seal emblazoned with their crest. So, when Roman flipped over the envelope to reveal the image of a quill crossed over a knife indented on the hardened wax, he was intrigued, and for good reason. That symbol belonged to the Crawford family in Ouranious, and he hadn't heard from any of them in some time.

He took the note immediately, haphazardly tearing open the envelope.

Dear alokhan,

I'm sorry I haven't been able to get in contact with you before now. We have a lot we need to talk about, but I first had to deal with some...roadblocks, you could say. As it turns out, most people don't like being double-crossed. It's taken some time for things to calm down on my side of things, and even then it's mostly because of you lot getting the Sidero's in trouble. If it helps you sleep easier, you should know that Dallas is in no position to take any more jobs, and the Geminian Thieves have returned home for the time being.

My congratulations on your and Roman's crownings, it's nice to see you found someone you can actually put up with. I plan on returning to Callison soon, I don't know when. I don't know if you'd even want to see me, perhaps content to leave me as a ghost in your memory. Although this has given me the journey to travel more, by now I've probably seen most of the country. I must say I'm not sure why I didn't travel to the Lyre valleys sooner, I think you'd like to see them, if only from afar and with no risk of falling to your death. Perhaps I could pick up painting and put those skills to use if I visit again so you don't have to worry about your schedule getting in the way. It could be a nice getaway, if not for us to catch up, then you and Roman. I already know you two didn't have a proper honeymoon, the furthest you got was probably the chapel.

Take care of yourself, and if you want to see me, you know where to look.

-Alexia

"Hey Roman?" The man in question hums, "How would you feel about having a house guest? We go way back, and I think you'll like her."

A/N: Not quite sure if this is the ending people want, because Alexia isn't a side, but I think it's important to touch on her fate again while getting a look at the settled prinxiety couple. I'm not always the best at figuring out endings, I usually find the path to get there a lot more interesting, but I think this one turned out fine. I think Nothing Left to Lose still has my favorite epilogue, but overall I think this is the best book I'll write for a long time. It's been a fun one, in my opinion, and well worth a reread