Chapter 27

Third Person

It was hard to tell exactly how things were progressing without visual aid, but based on the calm buzz of chatter, it was safe to say that nothing had gone horribly wrong since dinner had begun. According to Janus, he wouldn't be doing anything until everyone was making idle chatter, and it already sounded as though they had moved on from the food if the lack of clinking silverware was any indication.

"You know for a moment I had begun to think your family wasn't going to make it," Janus's voice carried clearly over to them, tone hospitable.

"Most of them didn't," Melanie responded, "Business has a way of making itself a priority at the worst of times, I'm sure you understand."

"Completely," Now would be the perfect time for Janus to make some underhanded comment about Virgil's 'disappearance,' maybe even showing some faux sympathy, "I must say your gloves are looking rather pristine tonight. Although, I'm a little confused. You never used to wear them, and yet now you're never seen without them. You must have taken a liking to keeping your hands clean recently," That wasn't right; it wasn't a part of the plan. Janus was supposed to bring up Virgil's disappearance, but the showman's smirk that he currently wore seemed to fit too nicely for a three-day old plan, "One must wonder where such an interest came from."

Melanie crossed her arms defensively, "From what I've heard I would have assumed you would appreciate the fashion choices of other cultures, and I'm a little disappointed to learn I was wrong."

Janus laughs, and it may actually be genuine, "Fashion? Is that what we're calling it now? Because where I'm from, it just happens to be the best way to hide marks that can only be characteristic of corruption."

"Corruption? That's a bold accusation to make of anyone, let alone someone whose family hasn't had even an amateur magic user in centuries," Her voice is even as she casts doubts on his allegations. Everyone in the room was watching their interaction raptly, analyzing and weighing the consequences of how this could end, "And if you have such a problem with my gloves, I suppose you wouldn't mind taking off your own."

With less hesitation than Virgil, and probably most people, had seen from him, Janus held up his left hand in plain view, removing one yellow glove, "Your turn."

"Fine," She bites out, a confident albeit annoyed smile on his face, "I've got nothing to hide."

With steady hands she raises up one hand, slowly tugging it off. Gasps accompanied the sight of the purple marks that covered her hands and wrists, a couple spidery veins stretching up even further. Janus didn't look nearly as smug as he originally thought he'd be, although it was a little childish to assume he'd get to dramatically tear one of her gloves off for the big reveal. He still took satisfaction in being able to pin down Melanie's strange behavior.

"Now what do we have here?" He says, making the perfect mix of shock and displeasure to sway the crowd.

"The marks of a grieving sister, I suppose, or did the news of my brother's death nine years ago not make it to Correo?" She responds almost too easily, and Virgil puts a hand on Roman's shoulder to keep him from peeking out and getting seen. He'd had the same urge to look at her face to see if the emotion in her voice was genuine, "I will admit it was foolish to use my...abilities to try and bring him back, but I was a child then, one that missed her brother."

And had the people in the room been exposed to any less harshness and apathy, they would have immediately dropped any and all suspicion of her. As it stood now, Janus was aware he had to tread carefully to keep any sort of semblance of peace. Further questioning of her magic and activities over the past couple weeks would lead to the crowd turning against him. The only thing he could do now was damage control and find a new way to call Virgil and Roman out.