Is It Enough?

***Note: Hey guys! I'm going to go back and update all of book1 because I've made some revisions since I self published the book and book 2 is written to match that (biggest change is that I renamed the antagonist from "Captain Simon" to "Captain Stede" So please note that when Captain Stede is mentioned, it's Captain Simon from the first part. There will be some other smaller changes too, and probably some I don't even remember so if there's something you're confused about ask and I'll explain lol. Also if you want to go back and reread as I update, that would be wonderful too ;) ***

 Also if you want to go back and reread as I update, that would be wonderful too ;) ***

The ship rocks and sways along with my stomach. Up and down. Over and under.

I've never been seasick in my life, but this kind of nausea isn't from the movement of the waves.

Today is the first day I've spent several hours out on the main deck since my injury, but it's an important day, so I've pushed through the pain and dealt with it.

Today, we celebrate a joyous reunion while I work hard not to drag down the festive mood.

My stomach swirls with unease as I watch Whitley from across the deck.

She simply stares out at the vast open sea for hours at a time, blonde hair and full skirt whipping in the violent wind. It's not an unfamiliar sight. I remember the first time I watched her watch the sea.

My heart lifts at that thought.

She's beautiful. And she's mine.

But there's so much between us now that I'm unsure of. The prophecy says she'll be my downfall. My mother has already flexed her muscles and shown us what she could make Whitley do.

My stomach sinks.

I think about how easy it was to fall in love with Whitley, how hard I fought against that pull. But when I finally let go it was the worth every pain—my heart leaps.

I close my eyes as more images bombard me. Her lifeless form floating in the waves. My stomach drops.

That same girl saving my life, even after I thought I'd lost her for good. Up.

I open my eyes and see the silver glint in her eyes that tells me she's still one of them.

Whitley is a siren now.

I rush to the railing of the ship and heave the contents of my stomach into the choppy waters below.

"Well, that's a first," says a rough female from behind me. She slaps a hand to my back.

I wipe my mouth as I turn back to face Rosemera. "First time for everything, I s'pose."

We've been back on The Freedom for nearly two full weeks since the battle with Captain Stede and the sirens. Enough time to receive a message and travel back to the bay outside New York to pick up the lovely "Miss Rose"— as she was called during her adventures in New York—from a merchant ship she'd bartered her way onto. Enough time for my body to heal from my self-inflicted injury—mostly.