How?

Bluff

Bluff

My head pounds, pressure heavy over every inch of my body. I'm so confused. So much of what's happening right now doesn't make sense. It takes a few moments of walking to get the feeling of her off of me enough to think through my rum hazy mind.

I remember last night. I was locked below with the rest of the crew, with no way to escape without being found out. Lucky-seven successfully conned me into getting drunk playing liars dice—because I couldn't win without them knowing it was me.

Now the part I can't figure out—Whitley is here. She made her way to me. That part is impressive, but how did she know? Even now I'm still wearing Ink's skin. I woke to her lips on mine. Her body so achingly close...

Was that a dream? I shake my head trying to figure it out.

"What are you doing here?" I mumble, once she stops in the middle of a pitch black hall, facing me.

"Saving your arse."

I smirk at that, but I run my hand over my face. Man do I wish I hadn't played that game.

"How? How did you get here? How did you find me?" I whisper, at least cognoscente enough to know we must be quiet.

"Are you drunk?" She says, hands on her hips, ignoring my question.

I sigh. "Maybe a little."

"Isn't that a better question? Why? Why would you get drunk tonight..."

"I didn't mean to. It's... a long story." I shake my head. I did manage to win enough rounds to ensure the others got drunk too, and that I wasn't so far gone that I wouldn't wake. Though I did get a little too close for comfort.

"So you didn't... give up?"

I blink at that. "That's what you think?" But I suppose it makes sense. If I thought all hope was lost, why not get drunk before the worst happens? But then... why did she kiss me like that?

"I don't know what I think," she whispers, looking down at her bare feet.

"How did you find me... once you found the bunks.... how did you figure out who I was?" I think through how she might have figured it out. What was my flaw? I was sure I hadn't left any gaps in my performances.

"I told you before," she says, the muscles in her face suddenly relaxing, blush forming on her cheeks. "I can tell. I can... feel you."

I raise my eyebrows. I was the drunk one passed out on the ground. That's the one she picked. I find it hard to believe she'd guess that. Could she really tell? Could she somehow have some ability to feel the power? I suppose it's possible our connection is supernatural, there is a prophecy about it, after all. My stomach sinks with that thought and I shake my mind from it.

It also means that first time we kissed... maybe she was telling the truth. Maybe she knew it wasn't her fiance. Maybe she was really kissing me.

My head spins at that thought, stomach aching with such an intense desire. I press my eyes shut. I want her to want me so badly, I can't think straight. But that's exactly the problem. I have to focus.  

"What time is it?" I ask. Knowing we have bigger issues at hand. If we can get off this ship, I may act on these desires. But that's if we survive the night. Is it already too late? It's night already. I'd passed out sometime in the late afternoon. How long did I sleep?

"An hour or so after dusk. Around ten, I'd guess?"

I nod. That's good.

"We are set to pass a place called the Crown at midnight."

I raise my eyebrows, the calculations are a little harder than usual with the rum induced haziness but it's not exactly complex so I make my way through it. We are around two hours north of Crown Haven, means we'll be passing several islands here very soon.

"Any idea which direction we're headed?" I don't actually expect her to know this, but a guy can hope. We could be coming in from several, being down here made it impossible for me to tell which route the captain chose. Closer to the open sea, closer to the main land or somewhere in between?

"South East."

I blink. "You really knew that?"

She rolls her eyes indignantly. "I'm tired of people thinking I'm worthless."

I smile at that. "I haven't thought that for a long while. Though, I can't say I never did. You've surprised me on several occasions. On the daily, if I'm honestly."

She smiles, eyes shining in a way that makes my stomach flip. The feeling of her bare skin on my hands, lips on mine, tongue... her taste... it all still lingers.

I swallow. Focus. 

South east, nearing Crown Haven means we'll be passing rather near a set of islands that will work nicely  an hour before that. If it's ten, we have maybe an hour.

"They're checking on me hourly. If that matters."

I nod. It does. We have two options: hope they don't notice her gone for a while after we escape or knock out whatever lookout is around and hope he doesn't wake for a long while after we escape. If we do that latter, they'll assume we're off the ship immediately. If we do the former, they'll search the ship first. 

"How many are up there? How many are awake?"

"Just Jimmy right now. Luster and the Captain are sleeping until a few hours after we pass the Crown."

I bite my lip. "Okay, here's what we do. You go back up there, tie yourself back in and wait until the next time they check on you. After they get a good sight of you and leave, come back and get me. I'll be in the hall here, pretending to sleep. We'll take it from there."