Ripped Away

Bluff

The siren's screech as they leap at me, several of them all at once. Their power and magic, overwhelming me. I hold tight to Whitley, but her skin breaks under my nails as she's literally ripped from me, a few drops of blood dissipate into the blue water until they too are gone for good.

I keep fighting, even long after she's gone. There's no hope to get her back, but I scream and I kick and claw at everything I can. The siren's hiss as they claw at me, working to avoid my violent thrashes. One by one they fall back into the deeper water and swim away. I begin to follow, ready to destroy anything in my path, but the deeper I get into the water the more the darkness overwhelms my soul at the realization that I lost.

Whitley is gone. And I can't get her back.

I scream in frustration and slam my fist into the water. Then my mother appears before me, this time, entirely under water. She looks up from her safe place in the sea, only her distorted face visible.

She laughs, chuckles rising in bubbles.

"I'll kill you, if I get the chance." I tell her, my hands in fists.

She smiles. "You won't. Because now I have everything I need to control you." She winks and punch the water where her face is but by the time the ripples disappear she's gone.