[ 003 ] the years after.

— CHAPTER THREE,
the years after.

SIX YEARS AFTER PRAIMFAYA.

"SOUP'S ON!" Comes the small voice of Eloah Carson-Blake. She bounds into the main room beside her Uncle Monty. When she reaches the table, she pulls herself into a chair while her Aunt Harper sets a bowl of Monty's algae in front of her. Eloah can't help but make a face of disgust as she looks down at the green goup.

No matter how many times she eats this stuff, it'll always taint her tongue. Even if it's the only thing she's eaten in her five years of life.

She can't wait to go back to Earth and eat something that actually tastes good. She told her parents she wants to try all the different Grounder foods.

From where she stands beside her husband, Ruby Carson-Blake turns away from the window, looking back at her family.

"Speaking of green, how's Eden?" Ryland looks over at Ruby and Bellamy as he limps into the main room.

"Still just a dot." Bellamy replies. He then looks to where Emori works on the radio in attempt to get their radio signals working. "Emori, take a break."

Eden.

The only stretch of green left on their home planet. The rest of Earth? It's nothing but wastelands. Praimfaya destroyed all of it. It truly showed not mercy. Death Wave.

Bellamy takes his place beside his daughter. He drops his large hand on top of her small head, ruffling her hair. She hits his hand away. With a grin, he removes it. "What's up, little troublemaker?"

"Hi, Daddy," she sends him smile. As she does, Bellamy can't help but laugh at her missing front tooth. "Hi, Mama!" Eloah greets her mother as Ruby sits down across from them.

"Hey, baby," Ruby smiles at her daughter.

Ryland settles in a chair beside Ruby, leaning his cane against the table.

"I don't know why you waste your time," Raven calls to Emori, "I told you, atmospheric radiation blocks radio signals. They're down there. We just can't hear them."

"We waste our time so they know there's a place for them to live." Bellamy looks to Raven.

"Ground radiation has been survivable for a year. They can live everywhere." Raven retorts with a shrug.

"I think we can all agree that—" Monty stops talking as speckled eyes cut over to him.

Ruby glares at him. "If you say green is good, I swear to God, I'm going to kick your ass, Monty."

Monty can't help but send one of his best friend's a sly smile , "sorry, Ru. . . but green is good."

Ruby groans, slapping her the palm of her hand against her forehead. Eloah giggles, finding humor at her mother's reaction.

"Eat up, kid." Bellamy tells their daughter.

Everyone at the table raises their bowls to their mouthes. With the usual hesitation, they all down the disgusting algae.

Ruby coughs as the algae passes through her throat. She sets the bowl down. Eloah gags at the horrific taste and texture of the algae. When she sets her bowl down, she shoves it as far away from her as she can.