[ 006 ] the past is the past, best to let it stay there.

— CHAPTER SIX,
the past is the past, best to
let it stay there.

STANDING ACROSS FROM EACH OTHER ARE TWO INSANELY DEADLY AND DANGEROUS COUPLES.

Ruby Carson-Blake and Bellamy Blake stand side-by-side, both of them ready for whatever it takes to get Clarke back. And across the fire from them, stand Charmaine Diyoza and Paxton McCreary, both of them ready for whatever it takes to protect their people in the sky.

"Colonel, it's me." Says a voice over Diyoza's radio. "They're telling the truth. Somehow they blocked the remote access to the cryo-room and the pods. We can't wake anyone up."

"Do we have you attention now?" Bellamy asks, his eyebrows raising.

"I don't know how you got on my ship, but if anything happens to any of my people—" Dizyoza is cut off.

"Good." Ruby starts. "We feel the same way. We'll both kill for our people. Now, nothing will happen to them if we strike up a deal."

"I say we kill the man first and make her watch." McCreary sneers, the woman's words setting a spark of anger in his corrupted veins.

Ruby's flawed eyes narrow. "That wouldn't be a good idea." Her voice drops to a low, dangerous tone.

Diyoza makes her way to the couple, stopping a couple feet in front of them. She asks, "what do you want?"

"We need your help opening a bunker," Bellamy informs the colonel. "You're miners, so that shouldn't be a problem for you. If you do that, we'll let your people go."

"And then what? Happily ever after?" Diyoza continues to question.

"Then we'll split this valley down the middle, whether or not you're happy is on you, but I'd like to think we can find a way to coexist." Bellamy suggests.

McCreary chuckles darkly from across the fire. He begins to walk towards them. He begins to circle around the younger couple. Ruby's eyes stay locked on the man as he does so.

"Threatening to kill two hundred and eighty-three of my people is one hell of a way to start a friendship." Diyoza says.

"I started a friendship with a king once by threatening to present his head to his entire army and then threatened to murder said army." Ruby says. Diyoza's eyes dart to her, eyebrows raising at the mention t of the word king. "Not to mention I formed many more friendships by killing. Now, I would consider this very carefully. Do we have a deal, or not, Charmaine Diyoza?"

Diyoza immediately looks to McCreary at the use of her first name, wondering how in the hell she knows. Then she turns back to the couple, eyes locking with Ruby. "We do."

"Can we see Clarke?" Bellamy questions.

Diyoza nods, "take him to see the woman." Then she motions to Ruby. "I want to speak with her."

"No. We go together." Bellamy immediately grabs Ruby's hand. At this, McCreary's eyes shoot down at their intertwining hands where he catches sight of the the wedding rings on both of their fingers. A smirk forms on his lips.

"It's okay, Bell." Ruby quietly reassures her husband, "I kinda wanna talk to her one-on-one."

A man walks forward, grabbing his arm roughly. As Bellamy is led away from his wife, he casts one final look at her over his shoulder. She sends him a nod, silently telling him that she'll be okay.