Chapter 30

Epiales had now been in the packlands for three days and the pack was getting restless; it could be felt throughout the land and the members seemed to walk on eggshells around him. He had this way of throwing people off and knowing their weaknesses. No one really approached him; he just drifted around like a ghost, almost phasing out of the shadows at will. The only people that went near him were my kids and even my mate gave him a wide berth but that was because he didn't like him rather than fear him.

I wasn't about to kick him out. He was still incredibly kind to me and my kids; he just didn't seem to be someone who wanted friends or even acquaintances. He walked around alone unless accompanied by me but Thatcher wasn't a fan of us being alone together he thought that Epi was dangerous which I didn't believe for a second. However it was hard to go against the words of both my mate and alpha.

Thatcher and I had also spoken more about giving the kids their own room but still room them together. There were several spare rooms on the alpha level where we lived. We had yet to bring the topic up with the kids, I feel that the only one who had a problem with it would be my little shadow Atticus. If he wasn't with Thatcher's parents he was following right behind me and when I dropped him off to spend time with the other kids and the babysitters he would cry and call for me through the mindlink.

I loved all three of them endlessly but I also wanted to better the connection between my mate and I. We had still yet to mark each other in our other form which was extremely rare for the shifter world. It was common for mates to spend around a week after accepting the mateship getting to know each other physically and mentally which would then lead to a mating mark. My hyena couldn't understand why his dominant partner had not marked him yet and it was very stressful on the both of us. we had done the human aspect of it but not the full thing nor the ceremony announcement of it to the pack.

Currently I was fixing up the bedroom and thinking of ways to tell the children they would soon be moving rooms. I felt like such a bad parent. How could I send my children away just to be closer to some man. Well not some man he was my mate but still my children should come first. I sat on the large bed and breathed in all the scents of the room I was in. We smelt like a family, all of our scents intermingling. I could feel tears gathering in my eyes just as Thatcher walked into the room.

"So this is where you've been hiding baby, I've been looking for you." He started before getting a good look at me and immediately coming to my side and gathering me into his arms. "What's wrong baby? Why are you crying?"

His arms around me were hard and warm making me feel just a touch better. I felt a little silly crying over this but I couldn't seem to help it. "Am I a bad parent, Thatch?" I looked at him as his face screwed up and he shook his head wildly, his hair flying everywhere.

"How could you even think that? You're a wonderful parent baby. Not only did you do everything to keep those cubs alive until you got here but also because since coming here you've given them the best life possible. You are a fantastic parent. What brought this on?"

"I'm just thinking of our conversation about moving the kids into their own room. Separating them from me, us. I know they will just be in the next room but what if they need me?" I brought my hands up to wipe the hot salty tears that were beginning their trail down my face.

"Baby, wanting your own space is very normal and the kids deserve that too. They are growing up and their own space would be good. All the other kids their age have their own rooms. A little independence is a good thing. You shouldn't worry so much baby . I know it's hard to think about but this is a good thing, love okay?" His arms tightened around me and were rocking us slightly. His chin rested on my head. I felt calmer and comfortable in his arms. Taking in his words I agree the kids deserved some independence i was just scared and had all kinds of what ifs running through my head.